Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t4tr

Oct 21, 2007
Maine
I am in the process of installing a Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon pellet stove in my house. I was wondering about attaching the stove adapter to the stove. There are two pre-drilled holes on the adapter. Should I screw this piece to the stove, or is high temp. silicone sufficient. I have screwed all my other piping connections together, but this one is a little harder to get at due to the limited clearance and the pipe coming off the stove is a thicker wall. Hoping to complete installation today so any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Usually the only time that I secured that particular joint with scews was on travis models that I was vertically venting. It would secure the cleanout tee and 45 degree elbow at the proper angle. It certainly won't hurt ot secure it, but once that silicone sets up it's some tough stuff and usually really hard to remove.

Are you using the rear to top vent adaptor with the clean out? I think there are specific instructions for installing that and it should be screwed to rear of the unit itself. This is to support the weight of the chimney system. If not what is this "stove adaptor" you are talking about? If you are just attaching to last piece of vent right to the collar on the unit you could silicone it so it wont leak. 800 deg silicone should be fine, that's a higher temp rating than anything we use.

I have vented the stove directly through the wall behind the stove and then up along the side of the house. I am not using the rear to top vent adapter. There is no weight on the last piece that attaches to the stove. It may not be called a stove adapter, but the supplier referred to it as that. I would call it a 3" to 4" adapter. It hooks directly to the pipe coming off the back of the stove, and to a piece of 4" pipe coming through the wall thimble. Thanks again.

Yeah after I posted I looked in the DuraVent catalog and there is an "appliance adaptor" but we never use it because we use the ones from Quad. That's why I didn't realize there was such a thing for pellet. Anyway.... same still stands, silicone should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.