Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonh

Aug 17, 2012
Contoocook Valley NH
My exhaust outlet on my Harman P43 is 9" on center from the hearth pad. My wall thimble has to be higher up on the wall by around maybe 8". It's a corner install and if looking at the stove from the front the thimble is to the left and 45 degrees from the stove outlet. I'm sure there is a mishmash of angles to get to the thimble but I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to use a short piece of flex, (If I can scout up a short piece somewhere) to go from the stove outlet to the wall thimble pipe. I would be using an appliance adapter and the piping is PVP pellet vent pro. I'm not sure what exactly I need to order to get everything lined up. btw I already have some leftover parts from another install in my old house. Have a clean out tee a 12" inch and a 6" pipe section. So I'm using the 12" to go through the wall thimble to the clean out tee. I will go up three feet to a 90 and then use the 6" and a termination cap. Also installing outside air. I am getting the stove delivered Oct. 11 so I don't have it in place which only complicates things more. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

a pic would be helpful of directing you properly. to me it sounds like you have a slight angle from stove to thimble. maybe pulling stove out slightly and put a short extension so it becomes a 8inch to 8inch connection. hope i make sense of this....

I asked this same question on here about the flex pipe last year and was told that the flex pipe is only to be used for chimney install

First you can not use the flexible venting to make that jog. It isn't certified for that use. Clearance to combustibles can't be met you likely could use two 45 degree elbows with a short piece between to make the jog. Whatever you do you don't want to use two 90 elbows and then a 90 on the outside to go up and another 90 and termination using 3" venting your evl will be way too high.

Please post a picture of where you want to place the stove and why does the thimble have to be higher than the stove's vent pipe?

Simply put the venting rules are too many angles equals major burn issues.

The thimble is already there from old owners set up and I don't want to punch another hole. They had the stove in the corner facing out. I want it caddy corner for a better flow and better looks. It's just that the outlet and thimble height are not the same. Can't the 45's be twisted somewhat for a little adjustment? I don't have pictures to post at this time. I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill. I know what you mean about keeping the twists and turns to a minimum. Thanks for the info on the flex I'll scrap that idea, safety first. I need to order parts and just trying to nail down what I'll need. I think you're right on with the use of two 45's and will try that route. I guess I can always return what I don't need Thanks for the responses guys

Status
Not open for further replies.