Q&A Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have purchased a used Buck model 51 . In my set of instructions it says to position the front of the damper opening behind the rear edge of the lintel to ensure proper draft . My question is where is the damper opening. I do know where the manual damper is. And I suppose that when they say lintel they mean the brick lintel.Are they talking about the pipe connecting collar when they say damper opening?

Answer:

They are speaking about the front most part of the rectangular opening (about 3x14") on the top of the unit. In the "old" days, an insert like this was simply slipped into the fireplace and the smoke allowed to rise out of the unit and up the chimney. Newer code calls for a direct connection, using an adapter, from the top of the unit up past the fireplace damper. You'll see some more information on this at: https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Status
Not open for further replies.