Installation questions for Drolet Escape insert and zflex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpayne1

Aug 29, 2008
Brooktondale, NY
Hello!

This forum has been very helpful as I've searched for insert and liner information. I am about to install a Drolet Escape 1400 and ~25' of zflex chimney liner (rated for all fuels, including specifically wood, with insulation) into our masonry, exterior wall chimney, with a flu block off plate. I've got 3 other sets of hands and a shallow pitched roof to work from. I thought I had everything in hand until we started going through the parts of the liner kit, and reading all of the fairly sparse installation instructions.

The Drolet has a top vent, with a very shallow lip extending above the body of the insert. There is a narrow gap between the lip and the body.

The liner kit came with a T type connector, clearly designed to fit into the back of a stove. There appears to be no simple adaptor to fit from the top down into the insert.

My questions:

Can I directly connect the liner to the insert, or do I need an adaptor that didn't come with the kit? If I need an adaptor, can I use the T adaptor, cap the horizontal part (a cap comes with it) and connect to the stove with the vertical part? If so, with the shallow lip on the Drolet, how do I secure it in place?

Can I insert the liner directly into or over the lip of the insert? If so, which is correct? Over seems more likely. How would I then secure it? FYI, I have contacted the company with this same question...

Also, re: chimney liner insulation, my local supplier said that the metalic tape was enough to secure it in place. I'm thinking that I will tape it over the seam for the entire length, and then tape around it at intervals. Will this really be enough to hold it in place over the years?

Thanks in advance. It is frustrating to be so close, though I think we can move forward with the liner install and hold off on connecting it to the insert until we know for certain we're doing it right....

You need an insert adapter. Most vendors will send one with the kit instead of a tee if you request it when you order the liner kit. Separately they run about thirty bucks.

Thanks for the quick reply! I suspected as much. I'll just contact the vendor directly and ask them to send the alternate adaptor. Based on the documentation, I think they left a part out of our kit! And I did read up a bit more on the forum and understand that the liner components need to fit INSIDE as they go down, so that any creosote drips downward back into the firebox.

Sounds like my install will go in stages :D

Again, thanks for the quick reply...this forum is great!

Anyone out there with experience installing this Drolet model? I'm still wondering about securing the liner to the insert. An adapter will fit nicely into it, quite deep, but the lip above the survace is very shallow, about 1/4"...so I am left wondering how to secure the liner/adapter. The manual is no help.

Would furnace cement be enough to secure it, or should I be trying to drill holes through the lip to insert screws?

I'll reply to my own post again :/

I'm returning the flu liner kit we got and working with a local vendor that installs Drolets to order the right set-up for the insert/connectors.
On reading the manual further, we found a section that talked about disassembling for cleaning, which clearly showed three small brackets used to secure the liner connector to the stove. Nowhere did it tell you about that in the installation instructions...

Crazy French people...

I know someone that has that Drolet and I think they were happy with it. The reviews online are actually really positive making it one of the bargain inserts that many don't even know about. One review did mention its pretty easy to break the glass if you overload the firebox so be careful of that.

Personally, I think 'Escape' is an awful name for a wood stove, lol.

Sorry, I don't have any advice on the installation but I never see Drolet mentioned on there so I thought I would chime in.

Thanks K Dubyah :D

I read the same reviews, and it was definitely a good price, considering alternatives (though I wish I bought it last year, when prices were significantly lower).
As I said, I've found a local dealer, and plan to get my new liner kit from them, along with my installation recommendations, so I'll be set. I'll post here when I have solid recommendations/procedures, so the next Drolet searcher will find them.

And yeah, I did read about the glass as well. It is a small insert...makes you wonder if people put in huge logs and try to cram the door closed....

Status
Not open for further replies.