Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CharlieTuna

Jan 10, 2021
PA
So the old VC large WW insert is finally out fireplace. It is listed as weighing 475 pounds. After partial disaassembly, it took me and two helpers to move it to a dolly, and then a handtruck, and it was cranked up the cellar steps with a come along and some planks. (That could be next years project to convert it from a catalytic converter to a secondary combustion system.) I now need to make a register shelf, as none is present in the chimney, and I will insulate it with rockwool. As I have never installed a stove before, I have some questions. The chimney liner was installed about ten years ago after a crack was found in the chimney. That may have been from age, i.e., ice wedging action over time. The house is about 55 years old. I am wondering if perhaps too much heat was being absorbed by the masonry, causing expansion and contraction issues.
1. Should I have someone inspect the chimney and liner first?
After removing the old stove, it had an obvious crack on the top that the last guy obviously missed. There is a little bit of soot in the chimney liner, but I don't think it's much of a problem. I could get a brush and clean the bottom myself.
2. What is the benefit of insulating the hearth?
I am thinking of using aluminum as a heat shield on the bottom and back of hearth. Has anyone tried this? In theory aluminum should reflect 95% of radiant heat back to the source. The replacement stove is shorter than the old one. I am planning on rasing it up on bricks to also keep it off the masonry.
3. Caulking/Sealants: I got high temp silicone RTV rated for up to 500 F, and stove and gasket cement rated at 2000 F. I was planning on using the RTV for sealing the register shelf and the cement around the pipe connections. I had to get an increaser since the stove outlet is smaller than the chimney liner by an inch.
Comments and advise are appreciated!