Installed a Benjamin stove, no Internet info found...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy_B

Dec 23, 2010
Southern N.H.
I acquired this stove about a year and a half ago for $50 with the intentions to heat my 2 car garage now a wood working shop to take the chill off during the winter months. Timing and finances to be able to buy the Selkirk T and support kit all fell into place to finally install pipe and stove. I tried with a thorough search for the "Benjamin wood burning stove" on the Internet but nothing was found. I've fired it up twice this week for a few hours only and the shop reached 52 degrees. I installed an oscillating desk top fan (yard sale freebie) hung upside down to move the heat on low into the shop. I understand it's definitely not a top notch stove and most likely a temporary till I find another in my travels. One thing about this stove is it has a heat coil on the rear right corner with latch control that when the stove reaches and maintains a high temp the damper lid closes allowing only an 1/4" of air to maintain a low flame/burn. Stove cools and damper lid opens more. When it's quiet and the stove is hot I can hear the damper lid "cling" "cling" "clinging." At first thought it was a mouse in the shop. Opposite side, left rear has a vent that can be held remained open and tightened with a wing nut to allow extra air into the stove. Just wondering if anyone ever came upon this stove, good, bad or indifferent just so I have an idea what I'm in for.
Benjamin.jpg

fan.jpg

OutsidePipeGarageWoodstoveBenjamin.jpg

So it's in the garage, have you had it inspected? is that peace of junk 3 feet from combustibles? is their a garage door? Do park your tractor next to it to keep it warm? Does it keep your fuel from gelling up?

So it's in the garage, have you had it inspected? is that peace of junk 3 feet from combustibles? is their a garage door? Do park your tractor next to it to keep it warm? Does it keep your fuel from gelling up?
Yes it passed with no issues. Was told it's very clean and professionally done. All I need to do it high temp silicone around the wall trim and outside at the thimble. It's far enough away from the cement board that's spaced 3/4 behind the board, and no combustibles are in the wood shop. All my paint and stains are in a 12x12 room I built in the basement for finished work. Any gas or fuel is in a shed with the summer and winter equipment. There's 2 garage doors. I don't own a tractor.....yet. The shop is for wood work and other hands on projects I work with.

Nice class a chimney setup, that set you back a few bucks. But it was done right and now you are in a position down the road when you want to upgrade the stove your chimney will be ready for it.

Can't give you much info on the stove because there isn't really much to know about it, pre-epa steel stove. That is a bonus that it has a bi-metallic thermostat in it, that definitely helps to even out the heat and you know its working when you hear that *ping* sound.

I would be on the lookout for a wood furnace to put in its spot and setup ducts throughout the shop.

Nice class a chimney setup, that set you back a few bucks. But it was done right and now you are in a position down the road when you want to upgrade the stove your chimney will be ready for it.

Can't give you much info on the stove because there isn't really much to know about it, pre-epa steel stove. That is a bonus that it has a bi-metallic thermostat in it, that definitely helps to even out the heat and you know its working when you hear that *ping* sound.

I would be on the lookout for a wood furnace to put in its spot and setup ducts throughout the shop.
Thank you mellow. I took my time on the install making sure it was properly done. I paid $200 for 32' of Selkirk stainless steel chimney pipe and now have extra pipe and parts to sell. I'll only be into the stove for and set up for $250. All worked out well. If by chance I come across a wood furnace I'll jump on it. A good idea for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.