Installed a liner...upside down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseRRies

Dec 21, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
So I just got done installing and insulating with a pour down insulation only to realize that I had installed it upside down. I saw the little tag that say FLOW --> and it was pointing down. I feel like an idiot but was wondering how bad you guys think this mistake really is?

Which liner is it?

JesseRRies said:
So I just got done installing and insulating with a pour down insulation only to realize that I had installed it upside down. I saw the little tag that say FLOW --> and it was pointing down. I feel like an idiot but was wondering how bad you guys think this mistake really is?

How bad are you gonna mind taking it out and doing it again? There's a reason for the arrow.

My guess is that it's marked that way so the joints are such that any liquids that run down the pipe (rain, creosote) won't leak out. If that's not a concern for you, I suppose you could leave it like that.

I dont know how hard itd be to pull out but seeing as the pour in insulation is part Portland Cement Im sure itd be a nightmare to get back out....I guess thatd help seal the seams a little too? From a safety standpoint do you guys think that its a real issue?

Also its a Simpson Dura Flex liner SS, 316 I think dont really remember and the box didnt say anymore.

If it is Simpson Duraflex single wall, don't worry about it. You can call Simpson and ask anyway but it should make no difference. That is just plain single wall liner. With double wall liner you have to pay attention to the flow direction because the inside wall strip is only attached on one side of the strip and the bottom of the strip can restrict the flow and collect creosote under the strip. With a a single wall liner it ain't gonna happen. I have two Duraflex liners in my chimneys and neither the instructions or anything on the liners said anything about which end is up. And there is nothing different either way unless you believe in the Coriolis Effect of smoke screwing itself up a chimney.

But if you don't know what it is, for goodness sake just look at the receipt and find out. The above only applies if you know what the heck you put in that chimney.

BrotherBart said:
If it is Simpson Duraflex single wall, don't worry about it. You can call Simpson and ask anyway but it should make no difference. That is just plain single wall liner. With double wall liner you have to pay attention to the flow direction because the inside wall strip is only attached on one side of the strip and the bottom of the strip can restrict the flow and collect creosote under the strip. With a a single wall liner it ain't gonna happen. I have two Duraflex liners in my chimneys and neither the instructions or anything on the liners said anything about which end is up. And there is nothing different either way unless you believe in the Coriolis Effect of smoke screwing itself up a chimney.

But if you don't know what it is, for goodness sake just look at the receipt and find out. The above only applies if you know what the heck you put in that chimney.

I just re read the directions and just like you said BrotherBart there is nothing about orientation in the flue, they also dont say what models they are for. My receipt just says DuraFlex as well nothing says the grade of steel. Oh well, im just burning pellets anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input.

using the Flex Connector (Figure 22). It is very
important that the Flex Connector be installed
in the proper direction with the Flow arrow
pointing in the same direction of the exhaust
flow. The Flex Connector should always be
installed with the wide end towards the top of
chimney. Under no circumstances should this
be reversed. The DuraFlex Flex Connector
may also be used to utilize lengths of Flex
Liner that are left over at the end of previous
job.