installed Enviro Empress, augur and ignitor do not work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoey

Nov 23, 2008
maryland
WE installed an enviro empress insert today. Everything seemed to go well until we tried to start it. WHen we turn it on, you can hear the blower, but I can't hear the augur turning, nor do pellets come out. Also, the ignitor never gets hot..... Very perplexing... Maybe the fuses are bad?

zoey said:
WE installed an enviro empress insert today. Everything seemed to go well until we tried to start it. WHen we turn it on, you can hear the blower, but I can't hear the augur turning, nor do pellets come out. Also, the ignitor never gets hot..... Very perplexing... Maybe the fuses are bad?

If the Empress Insert is like the free standing stove, you have to prime the auger for about 4 minutes before pellets will start to drop. If you turn the stove on & just wait it will take a very long time before it starts dropping pellets.

there is a augur feed button on the mother board or put a hand full of pellets in the burn pot. It takes about 10 min to light

You should hear the auger turn even with out pellets in the pot..Mine got delivered
with a non-working auger motor and now my second one has gone. I am not a 'a happy camper,
but when the stove works it is great.

Jay

Attachments

• Living Room.JPG
    Living Room.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 276
if the auger and ignitor do not work
it could be the hose or wire came off the pressure switch.

or your venting has something in it

PelletPusher said:
You should hear the auger turn even with out pellets in the pot..Mine got delivered
with a non-working auger motor and now my second one has gone. I am not a 'a happy camper,
but when the stove works it is great.

Jay

I too, have replaced my original auger motor, but as far as hearing it turn: the original motor made enough noise when it turned so that you could hear it over the combustion fan at all heat levels - barely at level 5. The replacement motor makes so little noise that I was worried it wasn't turning until the pellets began to fall. I have high hopes that this is an indication that the original auger motor was defective from the beginning & that I won't be replacing the motor again for a good while.

Not only is the augur not turning, the ignitor never gets hot. I called the stove place and I put it through 6 startups as he kept telling me that it took a few start ups to get pellets fed up the augur.
The pellets in the burn pot also never ignited. My husband pulled the entire stove out and is taking it back to the stove place today. They said since we are out of their service area it would take them 2 1/2 weeks to get out here. Funny, they never mentioned that when they were so happy to sell us the stove. I have owned a Harmon stove before this one and loved it (previous house). My dad has also owned Harmons. I am not so sure about this Empress. Hopefully today we will get one that works. We have to take the last one off the showroom floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.