Installed new BK Classic today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
I posted in another thread how I needed to replace our 24 year old BK Classic awhile back.
Probably could have welded it up again and maybe a few new bricks but reading on here made me want to try a cat or a secondary tube setup.

I usually have buyers remorse,but let me tell you,so far I'm super impressed with what they have done to this stove!

Fired her up and left by-pass open till cat was well into her range...maybe 30 mins.
Before closing by-pass stove top was 170 and stack was 350(about a foot up)...temp gun.
Within 15 mins the two temps switched..then the cat temp took off to about 1/2 the way around after I closed the by-pass.
Then maybe 15 mins later I went form 3 to 2 on the temp control..the cat climbed to the top...stove top temp was a little over 500 now.
It probably would have been fine but I wanted to see what effect the blowers would have on loading the stove.
They do have a big effect...I seen it. ..lol.
Ran those for awhile then shut the fans off.
Now for the last few hours the temp control is at 1.5...stove top is at 325..stack at 175.
To look into the glass door you would swear the stove is out..but looking closer you see some glow.
Once during the last few hours I could see some flame..must be the bi-metal thermostat opened up the air for awhile.
It's fairly warm outside..45°..and it's 75 in here.
I could probably turn it down to 1 but I swear it might go out..lol.

I know I just fired it today..but I would buy this stove all over again.
Did I mention how heavy this thing is..lol...my stepson and I moved them with a two wheel cart.
Picture022.jpg

Picture019.jpg

You people post really good info on this forum and are a big part of why I stuck with BK..though I did look at a Lopi Liberty...nice stove it seems..but I wanted to try a cat.
Seems like the cat should do longer burns that a secondary tube burner.

I'm just wondering if a stack temp of 175 is maybe a little low...one foot up from stove top.
Not sure how accurate this temp gun is either.

Hey HC,

Congratulations! Nice! Thanks for the photos and recap. I'm Jonesing for a Classic myself, so now my shirt is soaked with drool. :p

I was going to ask you if that was the satin door, but realized that's the glare from your flash?

I see you got the fan kit--did you get the side shields too? How is the fan noise?

The BK-K brochure shows a flue temp below 200* for the duration of their 48 hour burn :coolsmile: , so your temp doesn't seem out of line. Are you using single or double wall stove pipe? I'm guessing you're not going to need that stove pipe damper?

Please keep us posted on your experiences, burn time, satisfaction, etc. Congrats again!

Congratulation. That big boy is going to heat your house just fine. Once your little warm spell passes by you will be able to exercise the stove a lot more. 175F is cool in the flue. Keep an eye on cresosote build up until you get used to the stove more.

Thanks guys.
I'm using the pipe I had for now..just left the damper in and told people here to never close it.
I might switch it over to double wall pipe this summer...for sure if my stack temps are on the low side on low burns.
I need to get a stack temp gauge...but in all the years before I have never had one..but this stove is a little bit touchier.
So far I'm really liking this stove.
It just seems strange to see no fire yet the thing is putting decent heat out.
Can't wait to get a good bed of coals in her!
I played with the thermostat some..turning it back up to near 3 turns the flame back on...really neat.
What seems strange is turning it back down and watching the cat temp climb and the resulting heat from it.

HotCoals said:
I'm just wondering if a stack temp of 175 is maybe a little low...one foot up from stove top.
Not sure how accurate this temp gun is either.
mine will hover at about 200 or so external double wall on 1.5 about 30 inches up. after 30 minutes with the bypass open itd be up to 350 or so.. and would stay at that till i crank down past 2.5. maybe you thermometer is off.

Congrats on the new stove. Great choice. Low flue temps are pretty common on cat stoves and 175 for the last few hours won't hurt anything, you were probably down to the coaling stage of the fire and there shouldn't be much creosote making beasties left by then.

It is strange how the camera made the piece of metal under the door that color...I like it though..lol.

I'm betting you'll want the BK-recommended double wall stove pipe, what with the exhaust temps being so cool--that is so efficient, having all the heat is coming out of the stove.

Yeah, it's neat how cranking down the primary air generates more unburned gasses, and fires up the cat. I'm guessing that the King's big firebox's ability to generate big amounts of such gas is why it wants an 8" flue, versus 6" for the Princess with similar maximum output. But I already beat that horse to death. ;-P

Happy burning!

Your gonna love it even more as the season wears on. If I ever move and get a freestanding stove thats the one I would get.

When I first fired it 1/2 hour into it I had a real nice fire.
Stove top 500 and 350 stack before closing by-pass.
My whole chimney(pipe) is in the house and that should help...straight run.
Cleaned it once a year before.
Pic of the cat.
I need to learn how to re size..they must have changed things on here ..because I thought you could do that here?
Picture024.jpg

Nice looking install, I hope you get 24 years out of this one as well. Flue temps are very cool even at high burn as long as you are using the blowers. Enjoy the glow, convenience and heat.

your going to love looking at that thing glow. last night at about 11 we came home and i came down to check the stove before bed and my wife is like what are you doing and i was just looking up at the cat glowing. that was on 1.5 and after reloading 5 hours earlier.

ecocavalier02 said:
your going to love looking at that thing glow. last night at about 11 we came home and i came down to check the stove before bed and my wife is like what are you doing and i was just looking up at the cat glowing. that was on 1.5 and after reloading 5 hours earlier.

Yeah..don't get the cool afterburner effect that the tube guys get though.
Wonder if any stove has both?

Thing has been burning for 17 hours with a 2/3 load..maybe not even that much.
But it's fairly warm out..but I think it's a keeper..lol.
Still some wood left in her..just turned it up to 2 from 1 to see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.