installed oak on the bk princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well i got the oak installed. now to wait from some weather to burn see how it works. i was able to snake it in behind the wall. nice having a drop ceiling to snake things in behind the wall. i just made a metal cap at my shop just a little smaller than the inside diameter of the opening then cut a 3 inch hole tap in off of that and furnace cemented it up and and then ran the hose off of that.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 303
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 307
time will tell.

pen

Well just lit the first fire of the year. Seems to be workin just fine. House was down ti 64 so I thought I'd try it out. Plus the baby Needs to be warm.

maybe a 10 foot run. goes right up that wall and out.

north of 60 said:
An upside down P-trap would be a good addition to that.
i saw that on an older post how u did that. what is the purpose behind that?

It traps the warm air and stops the cold air dropping in when the stove is not in use. When the stove is in use it has to pull the warmer air down through the trap. I dont know what the colds extremes are in CT though.

The problem with those OAK's running up the wall is cold air pushes down hard into the stove. You want the stove to pull the air into the stove. I had some problems with my OAK for my basement install, it shortened my burns and seem to cool the stove off quicker. I ended up reducing the intake from 4" to 3" and installed 90 elbow outside where it exits the sill plate and also put a big U or p-trap in the run to slow the cold air down, seems to work better now.

I will consider this if I have a problem whe. It's get cooler. What bout a little damper in the pipe itself. I also am running 3 inch.

I tried the damper but it was a pain. The colder the air gets the stronger it would push into the stove. I think the 90 outside helped me the most, kept the cold air from a straight shot down, now it has to rise up the 90 and cold air doesn't like that unless the stove askes for it.

We have a pull type ( the stove sits about 12" above the plane of where the air enters the envelop of the house) oak on our IR and no probs what so ever. Really helped with cold air intrusion into the house for combustion.

Todd said:
I tried the damper but it was a pain. The colder the air gets the stronger it would push into the stove. I think the 90 outside helped me the most, kept the cold air from a straight shot down, now it has to rise up the 90 and cold air doesn't like that unless the stove askes for it.
im curious to see how much it will effect the blaze king since im able to turn the t stat down so low that maybe i can just turn it down enough that it wont effect it as much. but time will tell. in the low 30's tonight. on a load that i loaded at 3 and now 7 hours later still half of the load is left. and i didnt stuff it all that full. so not seing much difference yet as far as it burning down faster..

north of 60 said:
It traps the warm air and stops the cold air dropping in when the stove is not in use. When the stove is in use it has to pull the warmer air down through the trap. I dont know what the colds extremes are in CT though.
last year was one of our coldest on record. got to 0 a few times. but normals are around some single digit nights. nothing to extreme like what you get. but will see. it would be easy enough to just get a couple elbows and make the trap if i have to in about 5 minutes.

well im on my first 24 hour load of the season. temps aren't to cool yet but doesn't seem to be effecting the burn time. but am considering throw this on just cuz it will only take a min.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 112
Status
Not open for further replies.