Installed offset....pain in the butt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I wanted to pull my insert out of the hearth a bit so I ordered a stainless offset. I installed it yeaterday. Cut my hands up real nice on the liner but I finally got it in. My stove now sits out about 4-6 inches farther than it did before. I'm not sure I'll get much more heat out of it but I can cook on it if the power goes out....and if I get the urge whick I am sure I will. I might put the surround back on itjust cause the wife likes it. I was thinking I'd get more heat from it witout the surround.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow after the counter guys get here and take care of my kitchen.

Definately more heat without the surround. I won't ever have anything locking that heat into my fireplace again. The bricks on top and sides get warmer/hot with out it and the firebox and the bricks give off heat for hours after I let the fire die out. Never happened when I had the insert in there with the surround.

BrotherBart said:
Definately more heat without the surround. I won't ever have anything locking that heat into my fireplace again. The bricks on top and sides get warmer/hot with out it and the firebox and the bricks give off heat for hours after I let the fire die out. Never happened when I had the insert in there with the surround.

Do ya think a custom surround made with say vented, slotted or some kind of mesh type material would serve as to give the finished look, yet let the brick around it still absorb/release heat as you described?

you had a stove like Avalon that had a 5 sided covection chamber you would not have heat at the Back side of the Panel.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

Do ya think a custom surround made with say vented, slotted or some kind of mesh type material would serve as to give the finished look, yet let the brick around it still absorb/release heat as you described?

I think both convection and the fans on that Summit insert will bring the heat out to ya. There has been a whole lot of design work going on with stoves since my old insert was built.

That Summit insert is gonna heat the place just fine. If it hadn't been two inches too wide it might have been heating my place right now. And the free stander was one and a half inches too tall.

Now put that thing in there and light it up! So we can listen to another Summit owner go on and on and on about how great they are. ;-P

You are gonna love that stove.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

I think both convection and the fans on that Summit insert will bring the heat out to ya. There has been a whole lot of design work going on with stoves since my old insert was built.

That Summit insert is gonna heat the place just fine. If it hadn't been two inches too wide it might have been heating my place right now. And the free stander was one and a half inches too tall.

Now put that thing in there and light it up! So we can listen to another Summit owner go on and on and on about how great they are. ;-P

LOL, yeah, I'll be joining the ranks of Roo loving my Summit :)

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

B.B., did you do a review on your englander yet? I didn't notice. I am thinking of getting their mid sized to heat the addition. The home depot here has em on the floor.
Looks decent for the price. Hows the performance?

I have only had a couple of all day and night heating days with the stove so far. The last couple of days. The stove is doing a great job. I loaded the 30-NC last night around nine o'clock with three mid-sized 18" oak splits and let it settle in and then damped it down. When I got up this morning around eight o'clock the blower was still running. It was 29 outside, 71 upstairs in the bedrooms and 75 down stairs. Raked the coals, layed two little splits on top and it was off and running again. I have to add that, as my wife says, this house was born to be heated with a wood stove. It is a center hall colonial with the stairway in the middle of the house.

I haven't done a review because I don't know whether to do it in the hearth room or the review section, which is kinda limited. And I also wanted to get some really cold days and nights experience with it first.

Nice stove. I told my wife about some of the comments on here about Englander stoves being ugly. Her reply was "The only woman that has to be concerned with the looks of that stove downstairs thinks it is gorgeous.".

BrotherBart said:
I have only had a couple of all day and night heating days with the stove so far. The last couple of days. The stove is doing a great job. I loaded the 30-NC last night around nine o'clock with three mid-sized 18" oak splits and let it settle in and then damped it down. When I got up this morning around eight o'clock the blower was still running. It was 29 outside, 71 upstairs in the bedrooms and 75 down stairs. Raked the coals, layed two little splits on top and it was off and running again. I have to add that, as my wife says, this house was born to be heated with a wood stove. It is a center hall colonial with the stairway in the middle of the house.

I haven't done a review because I don't know whether to do it in the hearth room or the review section, which is kinda limited. And I also wanted to get some really cold days and nights experience with it first.

Nice stove. I told my wife about some of the comments on here about Englander stoves being ugly. Her reply was "The only woman that has to be concerned with the looks of that stove downstairs thinks it is gorgeous.".

Nice, looking forward to the full review.

BrotherBart said:

Nice stove. I told my wife about some of the comments on here about Englander stoves being ugly. Her reply was "The only woman that has to be concerned with the looks of that stove downstairs thinks it is gorgeous."

Well there ya go .............nuff said and the case is closed. :)

Around late Jan or into FEb, the box stores will discount left inventory to move it for spring stock last year the prices were 40% to 50 % off
If you could wait ,that would be the time to pick on up.

so how's it going due have a projected ignition date?

elkimmeg said:
Around late Jan or into FEb, the box stores will discount left inventory to move it for spring stock last year the prices were 40% to 50 % off
If you could wait ,that would be the time to pick on up.

so how's it going due have a projected ignition date?

Schedule is insane right now. Busy season for work, also working on addition. I plan on pulling the old insert out next weekend, gettin more exact meansurments & list together for liner needs and hopefully ordering what I need liner wise. I have the dealer I purchased the stove from working on pricing for the liner items I requested $ for. I can also order them online if needed. After that, its hopefully another weekend to get it in and running. I have to extend the hearth a bit also. Have the wonderboard in the garage (came with the house) so either gonns tile or possible get a 12" x 48" pc of flag stone. Not sure if you was asking me, but theres my response anyways LOL. I will wait till the big price discount and pick up the Englander at HD.

I'm guessing 2-3 weeks depending on how long the liner takes to come in. I'm still praying for a semi, not hair pulling out, experience with the liner.

Since it was Sunday, I was burning up a storm yesterday. Huge amounts of bright cherry red coals...nearly half the firebox on one reload. When I loaded it up last night at about 945 for the final load I filled every nook and cranny with oak and hickory. Once I got it going high enough I engaged the cat and damped it about halfway down. IT was 35 degrees outside when I got up this morning at 645 and the house was still up over 70. Very nice. The counter guys who were here today commented on how warm the house was and were amazed that the stove did all that. Just shy of 2200 SF . Also when I pulled the stove out saturday night, I took the chance to look up the chimney and was pleased to see that I didn't have a lot of deposit on the liner. a milimeter or two of grey soot and that was it. draft is very strong and times like today when the stove had been burning for 3-4 hours since reload all you can see from the chimney is heat waves. no steam no smoke no nothing....just heat waves. I'm not eager to put the surround back on. Swombo might change that.

DavidV said:
Since it was Sunday, I was burning up a storm yesterday. Huge amounts of bright cherry red coals...nearly half the firebox on one reload. When I loaded it up last night at about 945 for the final load I filled every nook and cranny with oak and hickory. Once I got it going high enough I engaged the cat and damped it about halfway down. IT was 35 degrees outside when I got up this morning at 645 and the house was still up over 70. Very nice. The counter guys who were here today commented on how warm the house was and were amazed that the stove did all that. Just shy of 2200 SF . Also when I pulled the stove out saturday night, I took the chance to look up the chimney and was pleased to see that I didn't have a lot of deposit on the liner. a milimeter or two of grey soot and that was it. draft is very strong and times like today when the stove had been burning for 3-4 hours since reload all you can see from the chimney is heat waves. no steam no smoke no nothing....just heat waves. I'm not eager to put the surround back on. Swombo might change that.

How much customization is needed to reset the surround? It appears mine is set to fasten at a certain place on side of the unit. Not to mention the housing is not painted black on the sides behind where the surround mounts. I guess its a matter of painting the portion that would be sticking out more than usual, and making some mtg angles for the area of the new surround mtg?

Instead of leaving the surround off, I personally would cover the inside of your fireplace with rock slag or kaowool insulation. My surround is adjustible, I pulled it away from the fireplace 1/2" or so. Your inserts don't allow any surround adjustments?

Status
Not open for further replies.