Installers : Need Your Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j00fek

Feeling the Heat
Jun 9, 2008
Auburn, Maine
i have started the process of installing my NPS40 and looked to rough out the install, i have found that the exhaust pipe is not lined up with the cut out on the outer panel of the stove.

now its looking like i have to get that panel off and grind out the space to get the exhaust pipe to fit

have anyone else seen this on their stoves?

I am not an installer and I don't have an NPS40 but...

Is it possible that a careless assembler missed an adjustment ?

My Quad had some alignment issues on the access panel "hinges" which required me to loosen up some screws and slide the mating frame panels to a better position... Pretty much every screw on this thing is located in a slot which leaves lots of room for tweaking...

I am just thinking that before you start cutting up the stove maybe you can find a simpler way...

yeh, the first thing that i do is take off the back panel and try to fit it again, then if not ill have to take action...

shouldn't have to do this

I noticed the same on my NPS40, I could not tell if I was getting the adapter on all the way, I thought it was OK, but i will now double check, If I find an adjustment I will post.

I had a similar problem in that the exhaust pipe in my stove was not centered perfectly with the hole in the rear panel of the stove not allowing it to fully seat. So I had to cut a small section of the outside of the vent pipe off so it would go all the way in for a tight fit.

Steve

Attachments

• Stove20_1200.jpg
    Stove20_1200.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 535
Shortstuff said:
I had a similar problem in that the exhaust pipe in my stove was not centered perfectly with the hole in the rear panel of the stove not allowing it to fully seat. So I had to cut a small section of the outside of the vent pipe off so it would go all the way in for a tight fit.
I'm guessing from your picture you attached the Tee directly to the stove's vent pipe. Duravent has an Appliance Adapter which transitions from the single walled output vent to the double wall twist lock used for the Duravent part connections. It's supposed to be used in between the stove and Duravent piping. That would have eliminated the need for the cutout you made. It also allows you to silicone & screw the adapter to the stove and still be able to take the Tee off without a problem.

B00mer said:
Is the appliance adapter mandatory? I was able to connect a tee directly to the stove. Is this dangerous?
It's not mandatory, it's just good sense. A Tee will fit but all connections that are not twist-lock (for DuraVent Pro) are supposed to be silicone sealed and screwed together with 3 screws. You do that with a Tee and you're not getting it back off the stove without destroying the Tee. An appliance adapter is under $15 and if necessary you can cut it off without destroying a $60 part (and the appliance output pipe too in all likelihood).

DiggerJim said:
B00mer said:
Is the appliance adapter mandatory? I was able to connect a tee directly to the stove. Is this dangerous?
It's not mandatory, it's just good sense. A Tee will fit but all connections that are not twist-lock (for DuraVent Pro) are supposed to be silicone sealed and screwed together with 3 screws. You do that with a Tee and you're not getting it back off the stove without destroying the Tee. An appliance adapter is under $15 and if necessary you can cut it off without destroying a $60 part (and the appliance output pipe too in all likelihood).

Thanks, I wish I knew that. Problem is I already installed a couple of days ago. I could not find the adapter anywhere and was told by someone at Home Depot and a local hardware store that as long as the tee fit onto the stove I was all set. I did screw the tee to the stove. Will that be ok if I put silicone around it?

B00mer said:
Thanks, I wish I knew that. Problem is I already installed a couple of days ago. I could not find the adapter anywhere and was told by someone at Home Depot and a local hardware store that as long as the tee fit onto the stove I was all set. I did screw the tee to the stove. Will that be ok if I put silicone around it?
Once you put silicone in the joint it's never coming off without damage (well maybe if you're lucky and have appeased the gods but you're better off planning on joint destruction so you're not unhappily surprised when it happens). You can try to get a bead around the lip but if I recall correctly it's just about impossible to get in there which means the silicone gets into the joint and glues everything up nice & permanently. Order an adapter and pop that on. I assume you ran your screws through both the inner & outer piping - if so, before you connect the Tee to the adapter put a square of foil tape on the inside surface of the outer pipe behind the screw hole, plop a drop of silicone in the screw hole, and then attach the Tee to the adapter. Wrap the whole joint with foil tape and if you need to remove it to move the stove, get at parts easier for replacement, etc., you just pull off the tape and pop off the tee.

DiggerJim said:
B00mer said:
Once you put silicone in the joint it's never coming off without damage (well maybe if you're lucky and have appeased the gods but you're better off planning on joint destruction so you're not unhappily surprised when it happens). You can try to get a bead around the lip but if I recall correctly it's just about impossible to get in there which means the silicone gets into the joint and glues everything up nice & permanently. Order an adapter and pop that on. I assume you ran your screws through both the inner & outer piping - if so, before you connect the Tee to the adapter put a square of foil tape on the inside surface of the outer pipe behind the screw hole, plop a drop of silicone in the screw hole, and then attach the Tee to the adapter. Wrap the whole joint with foil tape and if you need to remove it to move the stove, get at parts easier for replacement, etc., you just pull off the tape and pop off the tee.

Good advice thanks. Just curious, do you have to put silicone around the tee where it connects to the stove? Would it leak if I didn't? I'm new to this so sorry if these are dumb questions.

B00mer said:
Good advice thanks. Just curious, do you have to put silicone around the tee where it connects to the stove? Would it leak if I didn't? I'm new to this so sorry if these are dumb questions.
If you connect the Tee to an adapter you don't need silicone on that joint because DuraVent Pro has a twist lock connection system - just tape it with foil tape and you're good. If you connect the Tee directly to the stove then you need silicone or it's going to leak.

DiggerJim said:
B00mer said:
If you connect the Tee to an adapter you don't need silicone on that joint because DuraVent Pro has a twist lock connection system - just tape it with foil tape and you're good. If you connect the Tee directly to the stove then you need silicone or it's going to leak.

I think I'll take your advice and get the adapter. I just curious by nature though. For those who do connect the tee directly to the stove, could they wrap it with the foil tape that you mentioned instead of silicone? What that provide an adequate seal while still allowing for easy removal?

I was just at 2 seperate Home Depot's, and a stove shop in RI and both carried the appliance adapter. I can't imagine that your local HD or stove shop wouldn't have these on hand.

rap69ri said:
I was just at 2 seperate Home Depot's, and a stove shop in RI and both carried the appliance adapter. I can't imagine that your local HD or stove shop wouldn't have these on hand.

Well it's true. I guess your HD is better run. They were wiped out of everything to do with duravent. All they had was one kit and a couple of caps. In fact I'm still waitng for an elbow to finish up. They said it was scheduled to arrive 9/18 and I'm still waiting. And they said they don't stock the adapter anyway. They only carry in the kit. They said they could special order. I was not opposed to spending the $15, i was just impatient and wanted to get the stove in. Same thing at the harware store. They said they were wiped out of anything to do with pellet stoves but they could order. Again I was impatient. My bad.

I could meet you on the border of RI/MA with the adaptor and the elbow. Call it being a good samaritan to a fellow pellet head :)

B00mer said:
I think I'll take your advice and get the adapter. I just curious by nature though. For those who do connect the tee directly to the stove, could they wrap it with the foil tape that you mentioned instead of silicone? What that provide an adequate seal while still allowing for easy removal?
You can try that, but lots of times the stove design will prevent an assured good seal - you'll be butting up against some portion of the exhaust plate or stove backing and will need to crinkle the tape counter to laying flat on the seam. That may provide spaces for air leaks which in the case of the exhaust really means a potential for CO leaks. Probably not, but getting it wrong can make you dead in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.