Installing 25-PDVC through wall question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the install kits I see have a snorkel type configuration that goes up a couple of feet. My question is if this is needed on a second story install. Can I just go straight out the wall or is the vertical section needed for draft or something? Thanks in advance.

Hello

Yes, there are a couple of reasons for having a vertical rise.

1. When the stove shuts down especially if there is a power failure, then any smoke in the stove and vent pipe will draft out safely and not come back into the room.

2. Any type of cross wind will not blow the smoke into the stove and room if there is a vertical rise.

When installing your venting keep in mind that the EVL should be 15 or less.

Remember:
If you are going vertical more then the recommended install of approx. 5 ft for 3†vent then keep track of the EVL and go to 4†if you are over 15!!

Here is a good definition of EVL !!

Also see here for more info >> http://nevelsstoves.com/pellet-stove-venting.html

Pellet stoves have to push the exhaust air through the vent pipe with the stove’s exhaust fan. With less restriction your pellet stove will breathe easier and burn more efficiently. First let’s clarify the word restriction. Restrictions come from several different items.

1. 45 degree elbows
2. 90 degree elbows
3. Horizontal distance
4. Vertical distance
5. Elevation where you live.

A rule of thumb equation we are using has been adopted by most pellet manufactures. The equation is called the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values as follows:

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
5. Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 7 must adapt to 4 inch vent pipe.

If your installation is below 3000ft, we would need to do some math. The rule of thumb equations is that if the sum of the EVL is 15 or greater, then the pellet vent pipe would be increased to 4 inch diameter pellet vent pipe.

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 346
On any Englander there must me a rise. That is why "The Kit" you are reffering to is like that. Your vertical can be inside or outside. As long as you maintain the Clearance to Combustibles from your house. All of this (including the vertical rise) is in your manual.

It would be good to read front to back a couple times before even lighting your stove.

Also Surplusstoves.com has the 3" kit for $170 or $190. I just bought one for my Fathers PDV. Over $100 cheaper than Lowes or HD.

Good luck and post some pics when finished.

They will most likely go by the manual that came with the stove. Englander stoves require outside air kit and 3 feet of vertical rise.

AlaskaWoodburner said:
..... My question is if this is needed on a second story install. Can I just go straight out the wall or is the vertical section needed for draft or something? Thanks in advance.

As has been mentioned above, Englander asks that you have a minimum of 3-4' of vertical....either inside or out. And yes, it is to keep a good draft in the stove during burning, and helps keep smoke out of the house in case of a power outage.

If you guys paid your electric bills they wouldn't shut off the service...

Thats something i'm going to be adding to my set up is a vertical rise. Going to do it myself, it just makes sence...

krooser said:

Electricity???? What electricity??? My combustion blower & convection blowers are run by squirrels in cages. Gotta make sure to stock plenty of acorns with the pellet stash.

Attachments

• k4280996.jpg
    k4280996.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 193
imacman said:
krooser said:

Electricity???? What electricity??? My combustion blower & convection blowers are run by squirrels in cages. Gotta make sure to stock plenty of acorns with the pellet stash.

BAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!! green energy at its best!

Status
Not open for further replies.