Installing a arched lentil over fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beansuncle

Nov 19, 2008
Southeast PA
We are working on finishing the installation of our ZC fireplace. The top of the fireplace is arched and we will be installing cultured stone on the structure around the fireplace. I would like to fabricate an arch from durarock to match the cuvre on the top of the fireplace to hide the ends of the stones that are cut to fit the top arch along the top.
I am planning on cutting the durarock (1/2" thick) to shape and and stacking 3 or 4 layers to give the arch some thickness. The first layer will be secured to the front of the fireplace with screws, and each additional layer will be secured with thinset and screws. Once assembled, the durarock "sandwich" will be covered with a cement stucco to provide an one-piece solid look. The stucco will be colored to match the stone being used.
Looking for opinions on how this will work out. Will the heat of the fireplace affect the finish of the stucco. All of the materials used would be non-combustable, or course.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be wecomed.
Thanks

You can buy an arched lintel bar for that unit, but it sounds like you want more than just a metal bar.

Another option would be to use trim stones. Also, the stone could be curved along the arch without cutting the bottom of the stone.

Your idea should work also, just make sure the stucco layer is nice and thick and a good consistency so it will not crumble and fall off later.

bjkjoseph
Im thinking of doing the same thing with the durarock. I don't think its a good idea to have foam that close to the firplace.

jtp10181
I haven't found anything we like available for purchase, hence build our own.

btw - had discussed aux air on this unit with you in the past. Just picked up the inline fan and flex duct to return air from the other end of the house back to the fireplace. I will post how this works when completed. Hopefully this will allow the remote zone to function even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.