Installing a chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

electromagn8

Feb 29, 2008
Duanesburg, NY
I am having the chimney liner debate with myself and my wallet. Also, almost convinced the I can handle this as a DIY project.

Here's the vital statistics: Hearthstone Homestead (6" flue), 7"x11" clay tile flue 20' height straight, Terra Cotta 6" thimble comes out the 7" side of chimney, living space all around chimney. Considering 6" flex w/insulation, any thoughts will be appreciated.

Electro--
I did a similar installation a week ago. I put a 6" flextube down a terra cotta lined chimney flue to connect w/ a hearth mount Homestead. No thimble, however. Now, in my situation, I have had a lot of difficulties in setting my stove "just right" on the hearth to meet all the r-value stipulations. But, in terms of shoving the pipe down the flue and installing the chimney cap--I say go for it. You will need three reasonably strong people (two of whom have no fear of heights). All three shouldn't mind getting filthy. And, you will need some tin snips and some roofing caulk & gun. Have two people insert the tube from the roof--a good twisting motion works well. Have one person, who will get fairly dirty "catch" the pipe and guide it into the t-box or whatever oval to round adapter you are using. Hope that helps and good luck!

Same boat as me. I bought a Homestead in July and installed it along with a flex liner. The liner is a 2 man job so rope your brother-in-law like I did. You may not need to insulate your liner. I didn't insulate mine. My masonry chimney is on an outside wall (not interior like yours) and I have not had any draw problems during my break in fires in warm weather.

Get your hands on a sawzall if you don't have one. Cutting the existing firebox was the tough part. Also shop around for a liner kit. I went through my stove dealer and I didn't get a good deal on materials but didn't know better at the time.

Good luck.

Hopefully behind that six inch thimble is a 8" or larger terra cotta pipe to the flue tiles. If not you are going to have a groan of a time installing a tee on a liner in that setup.

Also shop around for a liner kit. I went through my stove dealer and I didn’t get a good deal on materials but didn’t know better at the time.

Yes. Good advice. I got ripped off, too. That Selkirk place that has ads on the site seems to have some reasonably priced liners.

In the first place this is a install down terra cotta tiles to a 90 degree turn into a thimble. I can guarantee you that with a 7X11 tile chimney you ain't gonna insulate this puppy. 6" flex with insulation will not fit. I have done three of my own and ended up going with 5.5" flex just to get the stuff down the chimneys without insulation. To install it into a thimble you have to have a two piece tee attached to the liner with the snout removed when you shove the liner down and then attach the snout working through the thimble at the bottom. If the thimble is 6" the snout ain't gonna fit into it.

Just did that same install, I have the same size clay flue, except my thimble length was 24". The 6" round will not fit in that clay with insulation, even without you'd better be sure there isn't any squeeze out into the flue between tiles anywhere or you may get snagged. I had the battle with my wallet, by my desire to only do it once won out and I went with Forever Flex ovalized insulated, total cost was $1300 and I did it myself, installation was not that difficult. It helps having a fully dormered cape so you can stand next to the chimney and use the roof as a work platform. The Forever Flex comes with a Tee adapter that works extremely well, one piece rides down in the pipe and then you just strap connect it to the thimble piece (even at 24"). It comes with all the pieces you need from top to bottom, a normal round kit runs about $600 I think, I got mine thru Woodstock but plenty of places on line sell it.

Almost forgot mine also had a jog in the flue around the fireplace box and flue, thinking of it, if yours is a straight shot why go with flex?

Anyways hopes this helps. Good Luck.

BB, I was thinking that I could break out the T.C. thimble to insert the snout first, the reinstall a new T.C. thimble over the snout and mortar in. As far as insulation goes, I was going to fill the chimney with thermix. Its a straight shot down, about 18-19', in addition only about 4' is in cold space the rest is surrounded by heated living space. I do admit it looks pretty darn tight. How brutal would it be if I tried to break out the terra-cotta?

When you start talking about tearing stuff out, we need Craig and some of the other pros in on this one. I am great at destruction but bad at construction.

Not sure if this applies to your set up but here is how mine went. I install a 5.5" flex liner 316ti down and existing 8x8 clay terra chimney. My inside measurements were under 8" inside the existing clay tiles. My tiles at the bottom going into the basement make to turns a 45 degree turn toward the basement wall and then around 2' down and then another 45 degree turn into the last tile that comes flush with the brick wall that is finished to the interior of the basement.

I was able to push the liner past the first turn by myself and had a neighbor pull the liner with vise grips attached to it as it it was coming into the second turn. It was a bit tight on the last turn but the liner held up well and all has been great the last two years we have used it.

Like others said if you have to make a turn into the thimble there is no way in my situation that a 6 liner would have worked at all.

Also the 5.5 liner drafts so well I had to intall a dampener.

I would consider getting a 5.5 liner if you have to make any turns unless you can get away with ovalizing it. My liner clay liner was square where yours is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.