Installing a coal boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xandrew4507x

Oct 3, 2014
South Central PA
Hello everyone, I am purchasing a coal boiler. Specifically the leisure line WL110 model. My original plan was to plumb it in parallel with my existing boiler, but to my surprise yesterday, I think I found that my old boiler has an internal leak. The boiler is from the 80s so it is probably due time to just do away with it if it is leaking internally. I can hear a gurgling and water trickling down one of the return lines every 30 seconds or so, and the puddle underneath has gotten bigger since last night. I have checked top to bottom and haven't found anything leaking. This morning I shut off the supply line and I am going to watch the psi to see if there is a drop.

Either way I plan on installing the boiler myself, but will need some assistance along the way. I have a design for running it parallel, but I'm thinking its going to be much easier if I do remove the old boiler.

If your not familiar with the WL110 here is the manual, it is a dual fuel, oil and coal. pretty easy to switch back and forth. http://leisurelinestoves.com/files/49536592.pdf

I have pictures of the install site and current set up to share once I get off work today.

I'll be following you on this. I have a pellet boiler (Harman pb105) in my barn sending heated water 100 feet underground to the house, where I tied it into the oil boiler. Works fine but I learned this spring my boiler (about 30 yrs old) has a cracked combusion chamber. So, since I plan to sell the house in about 2 years I am probably going to replace the oil boiler and have been considering the WL110. Looks like a good unit and Matt (one of the LL owners) is a great guy who will help you out if you run into any issues.

Look at the Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel unit before you
spend any money as it is a dual fuel unit that does not
require you to remove firebrick and reinstall the
oil or gas burner every time you wish to change fuels as the WL 110 requires.

Look at the Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel unit before you
spend any money as it is a dual fuel unit that does not
require you to remove firebrick and reinstall the
oil or gas burner every time you wish to change fuels as the WL 110 requires.

Thanks for the info Leon. I will check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.