Installing a Duratech wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Saw

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2014
Attica, Ohio
Need some advice.

1.Any tips on installing a Duratech wall thimble onto steel barn siding? I'm not sure how I should go about flashing the thimble without a ton of silicon.

2. How do you seal the Duratech wall thimble to the Duratech vent?

Any other tips would be much appreciated. My Garn WHS 2000 was delivered 2 weeks ago. Time is going to be short before it gets cold outside.

Thanks

thankful

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

if you are talking about '' steel barn siding'' as in like tin (think pole shed/building) i'm pretty sure you are going to have to frame an opening for the wall thimble to attatch to . your framing may have to stick out beyond the tin on the exterior of the building 2'' or whatever??? which your susposed to have a minimum 2'' air space between the chimney pipe and the outside wall anyway. Are you using the duratech support bracket that mounts to the wall either above or below the chimney pipe? I installed a duratech chimney system last summer in my house and I am very happy with it. ALSO me and another guy built a poleshed last summer at work and we were using Fabral tin. . . . they have like a million different flashings/trim pieces to choose from to finish off around your tin/thimble . . you should be able to find something close even if you have to do alittle custom fabbing/bending to make it work

Status
Not open for further replies.