Installing a fireplace insert and I have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpydaddy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2010
South Jersey
Hi, I've just decided to install an insert into my existing fireplace. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, but I'm hoping the kind people here could provide any additional information or correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a photo of my existing fireplace:

http://home.comcast.net/~grumpy_01/smallfireplace.jpg

From the reading I've done so far, it looks like I need to provide 18" of vertical clearance from the mantel (the mantel extends 7" from the face of the brick). I assume this is measured from the top of the insert where it protrudes from the existing fireplace. Since I have 40" from the hearth bricks, that leaves me with an insert with a height no greater than 22". correct so far??

Also, I've read that the hearth should extend 18" from the face of the insert. I only have 13" from the existing fireplace, but as you can see from the picture, my hearth bricks are raised 11" above floor level. Do I need to extend the hearth an additional 5" at floor level thereby creating a two tiered hearth? Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

That's about all I have figured out so far. I think my height restraint in regards to the mantel will be the deciding factor in how big a unit I can fit into the existing fireplace. Additionally, I'm anticipating relining the existing chimney with double walled pipe and safing the existing chimney off at the existing damper.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing right/wrong would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

The best place to start is to figure out what size and style insert best satisfies your heating needs. Then the technical details will follow.

The distance to the mantel varies with the insert make/model. If you find an insert that is the ideal candidate, but the clearances are too close, there is also the possibility of putting a mantel heat shield in to reduce clearances.

grumpydaddy said:
From the reading I've done so far, it looks like I need to provide 18" of vertical clearance from the mantel (the mantel extends 7" from the face of the brick). I assume this is measured from the top of the insert where it protrudes from the existing fireplace. Since I have 40" from the hearth bricks, that leaves me with an insert with a height no greater than 22". correct so far??

Also, I've read that the hearth should extend 18" from the face of the insert. I only have 13" from the existing fireplace, but as you can see from the picture, my hearth bricks are raised 11" above floor level. Do I need to extend the hearth an additional 5" at floor level thereby creating a two tiered hearth? Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

That's about all I have figured out so far. I think my height restraint in regards to the mantel will be the deciding factor in how big a unit I can fit into the existing fireplace. Additionally, I'm anticipating relining the existing chimney with double walled pipe and safing the existing chimney off at the existing damper.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing right/wrong would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Most of your answers are going to depend on the insert that you buy. Do some emasurements of your opening, then start shopping based on what will fit. Check the MFG's installation manual for the install / clearances specific to that insert, they often vary.

Couple of things:

You will probably need to extend the floor protection for sure, it may only need to be "ember protection" given that you will have a "raised hearth" install - read carefully on that one. The 18" is from the front of the insert - the farthest protrusion usually.

Not sure what you mean by running double wall pipe up the chimney - you wuld probably need a 1 piece stainless liner or maybe an insulated liner, depends on a few things. Not sure if running std double wall stove pipe up a chimney is legal or not.

The height to the mantel is also specific to each insert and also varies by the amount the mantel protrudes off the wall.

Happy hunting

ZV-1 is the only thing that would prevent parallel flow thought the storage tanks and the oil boiler.

Perhaps the controls haven’t been sorted out yet and ZV-1 is opening incorrectly. Closing either isolation valve on circulator C-1 should cure it until you get it figured out.

Just be sure that C-1 isn’t running for the same reason that ZV-1 is open or the C-1 pump motor could get a little warm.

Cheers —ewd

If you dig down through most stove / insert company sites, you will find the install manuals you can download. Download and compare clearences from your top picks and see which ones will work for you.
Also check with your building department to see if they have a handout of thir local requirements. If you are lucky they will just say follow the manufacturer's info. Then have install sequince pictures and the manual when the inspector comes. Pictures will show you did everything correctly even what is sealed up and can't be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.