installing a gas freestanding stove in large fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I have a huge 39"x52" fireplace that I want to install a freestanding stove in. I want to use the chimney for a chase for the liner. Most of the stoves I see have the concentric vent connector. Is there a way vent with flex liner due to chimney not being straight and snorkel up 5' for fresh air and seal damper plate like when you install a insert? With a insert fresh air is not piped to the cap?

I have a huge 39"x52" fireplace that I want to install a freestanding stove in. I want to use the chimney for a chase for the liner. Most of the stoves I see have the concentric vent connector. Is there a way vent with flex liner due to chimney not being straight and snorkel up 5' for fresh air and seal damper plate like when you install a insert? With a insert fresh air is not piped to the cap?

There are co-liner flexible aluminum vent kits available for this type of install. They are the same ones used in Gas Fireplace Inserts, with an adapter from co-liner at the co-axial vent at the flue collar of the stove. Unfaced fiberglass insulation can be used with the vent kit in the damper area & also under the top plate. The liner kit has (2) 3 inch diameter x 30 foot aluminum flexible liners & BOTH should be run from the unit to the cap, so you can take advantage of the extra insulation at the top of the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.