Installing a Napoleon in Saint Louis, some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fubar411

Dec 14, 2006
I've been through the faqs and this is a project I feel comfortable doing. I'm converting our old 85 year old terra cotta lined chimney from an open fire burner to wood burning fireplace insert. I got a great deal on a Napoleon 1101 that I'll be picking up next week. So I have some time to rethink everything.

[Invalid link removed for readability. Mo]

I figure I will get one of the 6" 316 flexible stainless steel liners and do a non-insulated liner in my chimney. Rather than pay someone for the work, I figure I can do it myself. I can rent a cherry picker for $250 and stay somewhat safe while doing it. I guess I need some opinions on which liner to get, there seem to be plenty on ebay. I'm going to give it all day and I'll be doing the damper plate thing as well. I guess, other than needing help on which one to get (I think I don't need the T connector) is how manageable is this for a 31-yr-old somewhat handy guy.

Oh, and I haven't seen much discussion on how people usuall hook up the blower. Do I just put a receptical into the fire pit?

Thanks,
Rob

On the blower question...Not sure what the installation truely looks like but on my install, I built the hearth and the blower cord goes down through the hearth and out the side near the floor. Then I just plug it into a wall socket that was there already.
The cord on mine was about 8' long I'd say.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep that in mind, although it being an old house, there isn't a receptical anywhere near it. Although, I am pretty handy with electric, a little harder to burn the house down than this project!

Fubar411 said:
... I'm converting our old 85 year old terra cotta lined chimney from an open fire burner to wood burning fireplace insert.

Got your PM. Don't forget to clean the chimney before the install.

I got a great deal on a Napoleon 1101 that I'll be picking up next week.

Did you get it online, or perhaps at Victorian Sales in Fenton? http://www.victoriansales.com/

My b-n-l bought a Jotul insert from Arnold Stove and Fireplace. http://www.arnoldstove.com/
They installed and he had no major complaints. Cost more than my install, though (see: below).

I got mine in Troy, MO. Their referred contractor installed it. http://www.hechlers.com/hearth_home.html
I can give you his direct number if you decide to have it installed like I did. He did a decent job for the price ($450 in 2003$).

Here's another big shop near the city. I've had no contact with them. I'm not sure if they sell stoves, but they do sell fireplaces, so you can probably buy a SS liner there and get help if you need it. http://www.forshaws.com/Fireplaces.htm

These are all dealers, and prices may be a bit higher than online, but you can get information if you get stuck or need advice. Unfortunatealy, this is crunch time for stove shops and they might not want to 'fool with' a DIY'er for the price of a SS liner. I could be wrong, though. If you bought your stove around here, they might be the best place to get the liner, too. Sometimes there can be more to these installs that first presents itself.

Are you going to attempt a permit and inspection? Notify your insurance? This can be tuff around here. I tried it and was chasing my tail for quite a while. Something to think about, though.

I don't know any online sources for liners. Is that what you are looking for?

Napoleon insert installation is scheduled for May 18th. Just in time for the summer heating season!

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.