installing a pressure tank for a jet pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
Hello all you plumbing-type people out there!

The tiny little pressure tank on my pump has been the only one I have, and the diaphragm on it finally failed. I bought a pressure tank, tee, pressure gauge, check valve, and a pressure switch (came to around $240). Then I spoke to someone I know who does plumbing and repairs, and he estimated 2-4 hours for the job. He charges $120 an hour to do the work, which puts this way out of my budget at the moment.

Considering tackling this project myself. Not much of a plumber, but I can use a Shark Bite with the best of 'em. Is this a rocket-science job, a sure-you-can job, or somewhere in the middle?

Words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

GO for it. It's NOT rocket science. Standard plumbing skills &
a little common sense are really all that's needed for this job.
I've done it twice in my 26 years of homeownership.
One thing I'd recommend is to replace the outlet where you 're
plugging in to get power with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).
After all, you've got water & electricity & that can be a deadly combination...
Keep a couple of containers of water handy as you'll hafta prime the pump to
establish flow. Other than that, cut & dry fit everything before you solder...
Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

All of the fittings off the tee are threaded, and I got the paste for that. Would prefer to go with Sharkbites rather than solder. I've done it before, but just prefer the KISS approach. Will go prowling for more information. May I post some pics here and get more specific advice later? I'm especially a bit confused as to which goes where in what order from the intake to the out-line.

I am thinking about replacing mine and a while back I found a lot of detailed instructions using Google-Fu down to how to balance the bladder pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.