Installing a Selkirk chimney system.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwaregrrl

Sep 17, 2015
Atlanta
So, not such a piece of cake. I'm going to have to remove an 8" section of rafter in order for the attic insulation shield to fit. I've got very little room to work in and it's difficult almost impossible to fit my 5'4" frame in the area I'm running the chimney. So wondering if it's worth cutting the roof hole larger and stuffing the AIS through??

Here's a shot of the section that will be removed with the AIS pushed through the ceiling
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't just remove a section of rafter.

Is there a reason that you can't center the pipe between rafters?

You can, it's just not something I want to do. The ceiling is wood and the joists are 2x6 and are on a 12" spread, and there are can lights in the ceiling. With combustibles, it's the only place it can go. So it's either a joist or a rafter.

I've already Teed over to the adjacent rafter. Then I'll sister in with lag bolts. Might just do a couple of stuff knees since the joists are 2x6 for good measure.

Last edited:
Well, that was a pain in the ass!! But it's done. I decided to sister in a new rafter from the ridge to the top plate. I couldn't fasten the new one to the old one near the soffit as there is no clearance. When I got on the roof and cut a giant ass hole in it, I was able to get a few more in. Rafter complete, I cut the old one and all was well. The AIS was a pain to line up as there just wasn't enough height for it.....all and all....everything is jammed in there with 2" or more clearance. Couldn't ask for anything more....

My mess....

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Status
Not open for further replies.