Installing a wood stove… need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the actual code differs anywhere - but the AHJ (the inspector) often takes nuances into account. The best example is the definition of a garage. I added a garage ONTO my garage, which was meant as a shop. The building official allowed me to install a pellet stove in there.

For purposes of that part of the code, my guess would mean that it means no wood stoves in a "standard" attached garage which is used for cars and such.

I don't think the actual code differs anywhere
They must.
Or at least for sure they are different in this country, because I researched and discussed this point extensively with my insurance agent, and a couple WETT certified installers before installing the wood stove in my garage and the only requirement was that the stove be elevated 18". And that applied to both attached and non-attached garages where things like gas and cars might be stored. For an outbuilding where no volatiles were to be stored an elevated hearth was unnecessary.
Also I have read in this forum where many people in the USA had wood stoves installed in their garages where vehicles were stored, and they claimed they had been inspected and were covered by their home insurance.

Perhaps a poll is in order?

I don't think Canada uses the NFPA.....as it's basis for stuff like this?

Here is the part of the NFPA and some earlier discussion:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Stove_in_Residential_Garages

It's pretty clear "shall not be installed in any garage" - but, as I have said before, that is probably meant to refer to a normal attached confined car-type garage in a residential property.

Status
Not open for further replies.