installing a woodstove in a prefab gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottdeb

Feb 28, 2008
toledo, ohio
I want to install a woodburning stove in a prefab gas fireplace. I had an installer out to look at the job and he said the existing firebox was to small for any insert and suggested putting in a woodstove but he didnt want to use the existing fireplace but to install one in another area. I have a metal fireplace and an 8'' metal pipe going out.I was told to run a 6'' stainlesspipe through the existing. He was no help. I would like to use the existing area. I would appreciate any help

You can't put a wood insert or stove into a gas fireplace, end of story.

Unless you have a wood fireplace with a GAS LOG in it, then you can remove the gas log and install an insert.

If your fireplace has an 8" ID pipe on it, then chances are that it is a wood unit. This is not typical for a gas fireplace - unless, as jtp says, it is gas logs in a wood fireplace. Look for a label on the fireplace.

Another hint is that if it has a damper up in the fireplace that can be opened or closed- then it is probably wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.