Installing a woodstove in a work shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmholmes11

Jul 27, 2014
Northern Michigan
I have a stove I built a few years ago made from a 55gal drum. I have a second garage (stick built, not pole barn) and I'm going to install a wood stove in it. I would like to go straight up and put either a 45 or 90 in and go outside through the wall with stove pipe instead of the ceiling (cheaper) . Do they make an insulated wall plate/adapter or something along those lines for going out a wall with stove pipe?

I guess what you are looking for is a wall thimble. You need the one from the same manufacturer as your pipe/chimney system. Outside you will need class A which is usually more expensive than stove pipe. Thus, going up straight does not only make for better draft but could also be cheaper.

Is that building listed as garage or shop? Many jurisdictions and home insurances don't allow the installation of a wood stove in a garage. I would check with your local building inspector.

It sounds like an unlisted stove. For your own safety keep 36" clearances around the stove. Those can be reduced to 12" with ventilated wall shields. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

I agree with grisu cheaper and better performance going straight up and out. also usually easier to clean

Okay, so go up through the ceiling with a thimble and stove pipe, then use class A through the roof?

No you go up to the ceiling with stove pipe then switch to class a to go through the ceiling and out.

Reactions: lmholmes11
At the ceiling a ceiling support box is framed in. This is where the transition from stove pipe to class A chimney pipe occurs.

Straight up means less bends and easier to clean. A friend of mine put his outside the wall and he regrets the decision. I got a moble home heater and I plan on running that baby straight up in a metal pole barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.