Q&A Installing a zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I would like to have a zero clearance wood burning fireplace installed in our home. I have not found any detailed installation tips for existing construction. Most of the contractors I have found expect me to get the building permits and I have not been able to find contractor that will do the whole job.

We want the fireplace to be installed in the corner of our family room. This is the same spot the original builder normally installs them in our floor plan. The original builder (Centex), was no help in providing a contractors name either.

I have been able to find a few small units that will fit in the corner, but I am wondering if the existing sheetrock should be removed before installing the firebox.

Answer:

No reason to remove the original sheetrock. It's an easy job for most contractors...simply set the unit and frame around it. The instructions that come with the fireplaces are quite good, and you can ask around at the fireplace shop or email me if you have specific other questions when you start to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.