installing all-fuel upside down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longboarder2

Feb 14, 2012
southern NJ
following my recent chimney fire, we have installed new selkirk all-fuel flue pipe. i had a couple segments on the ground today, and if installed in the recommended direction, it feels like there is a lip behind/under which creosote could collect at the joints. i have heard there is some new thinking regarding installing it "upside down" to allow creosote to flow back toward the appliance. if i run my fingers across the joint in the other direction, it feels smoother and less likely to collect creosote.

any thoughts on this? should i have installed my flue the opposite way from recommended?

You have to install it the "normal" position or things like your ceiling support will not work. The "male" end has to point up.

If you are getting creosote in your chimney, correct your burning procedure and use well seasoned wood. Proper burning with dry wood does not create creosote in chimneys. We have been burning our wood stove in the house for more than 20 years, no creosote ever. And 5th heating season with the Tarm for the shop, no creosote ever.

IMHO... and I'm not a professional installer..... Pipe is suppose to be male down. It's the opposite of car exhaust or what might be expected. Whether it creosote or rain it's suppose to go back to stove with out dripping all over the place.
I just reread thread. My comments were direct to the black single wall pipe. I believe this topic is about the SS pipe.

RobC said:
IMHO... and I'm not a professional installer..... Pipe is suppose to be male down. It's the opposite of car exhaust or what might be expected. Whether it creosote or rain it's suppose to go back to stove with out dripping all over the place.
I just reread thread. My comments were direct to the black single wall pipe. I believe this topic is about the SS pipe.

Funny, every wood stove I've ever been around was male up. That way the male end is what ends up in the thimble.

Unless I'm not following you correctly.

On my Tarm is goes back and forth due to the adapter pipe on the boiler. I just made sure everything was sealed with high temp RTV when I put it together.

K

longboarder2 said:
following my recent chimney fire, we have installed new selkirk all-fuel flue pipe. i had a couple segments on the ground today, and if installed in the recommended direction, it feels like there is a lip behind/under which creosote could collect at the joints. i have heard there is some new thinking regarding installing it "upside down" to allow creosote to flow back toward the appliance. if i run my fingers across the joint in the other direction, it feels smoother and less likely to collect creosote.

any thoughts on this? should i have installed my flue the opposite way from recommended?

Outside cover male up ,any water that comes down the outside stays outside the chimney .
Inside section male down creosote stays inside the chimney.

Attachments

• IMGP4382.jpg
    IMGP4382.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMGP4383.jpg
    IMGP4383.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 283
RobC said:
http://www.hartshearth.com/stovepipe_faq.htm#3

I suppose that makes sense. The only thing is somewhere you are going to have to reverse that to get the pipe into the thimble.

All my stoves are the opposite, they probably have changed things in the last 100 years (my newest was still built in the 1800s).

K

after looking at the equipment, it runs like that. but there is a bit of a gap between the inside "male lip" and the segment below where crap might collect---guess it's time to build a better mousetrap.

longboarder2 said:
after looking at the equipment, it runs like that. but there is a bit of a gap between the inside "male lip" and the segment below where crap might collect---guess it's time to build a better mousetrap.

When things cool down will get you a inside picture !

kopeck said:
The only thing is somewhere you are going to have to reverse that to get the pipe into the thimble.
K

The flue extension fastens to the bottom of the first chimney length with three screws. It makes it possible to connect a stove pipe, or other type of connector, to the chimney. It is sometimes used to connect an EXCEL chimney directly to an appliance. The flue extension is designed to fit a variety of stove pipes. However, due to variations from one manufacturer to another, some modification may be required in the field.

Attachments

• EX_Thumb.jpg
    EX_Thumb.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 222
hobbyheater said:
kopeck said:
The only thing is somewhere you are going to have to reverse that to get the pipe into the thimble.
K

The flue extension fastens to the bottom of the first chimney length with three screws. It makes it possible to connect a stove pipe, or other type of connector, to the chimney. It is sometimes used to connect an EXCEL chimney directly to an appliance. The flue extension is designed to fit a variety of stove pipes. However, due to variations from one manufacturer to another, some modification may be required in the field.

Also called a dripless adapter.

longboarder2 said:

Pictured is the inside of a Excell chimney. Where the sections join, there is a small seam where creosote could enter if installed upside down. Also if it is upside down, water could enter from the outside. With creosote and water in the insulation between the inner and outer metal of the chimney, a chimney fire would be very interesting. A possible steam explosion blowing a burning chimney apart - worst case scenario!

This is also what the inside of a gasifiacation boilers chimney looks like after burning 2 1/2 cords of wood .

Attachments

• IMGP4415.jpg
    IMGP4415.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP4409.jpg
    IMGP4409.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP4405.jpg
    IMGP4405.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMGP4416.jpg
    IMGP4416.jpg