Installing an insert - some questions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwlNinja

Oct 8, 2013
WA
Hello all,

I've been browsing these forums for a while now, and though you don't know it, you've been very helpful already! :)

I have a Lopi Pioneer Bay FPI that I have tried to find an install crew for, but it doesn't seem to want to happen.
I would like to see if it's possible to install it myself.
I have a masonry fireplace, with a damper installed. There's a chimney rain cover on the top.

1) Is it suitable to run a flexi-pipe all the way down it? Or should I buy straight parts for it?
2) Are there any permits (county/state) I need to be aware of?
3) I've uploaded some photos. The chimney rain cover has some pins(?) securing it, what's the easiest way of removing them?
4) With the flex-pipe is it easier to run it down the chimney or pull it up?

Thanks for reading! I am nervous and excited to get it up and running!

Attachments

• back left close.jpg
    back left close.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 119
  • front right side.jpg
    front right side.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 114
1Yes you can run flex all the way.
2You would most likely need a permit .
3 it s hard to tell from the pic of the chimney cap but it should not be to hard to take off.
4 the best way is to do it from the top down.

Reactions: OwlNinja
Install is easy...get the 4in stainless flex pipe...be sure to measure from the top of the chimney to down where the insert will meet. Also make sure to get high temp silicone for ALL joints! The hard part will be getting the flex pipe pass the dampner just remove the dampner or bend the pipe to get pass the dampner. Also you will need the cap and rain cover for your chimney..I'm fresh off installing my harman p35i so anymore questions jus ask.plus with the money u save u can put tht toward some SUPA Premium pellets for ur first burn!!!

Burn Baby Burn:cool::cool:

Don't forget the insulation or it will sweat and rot that $300 pipe right out. If it makes you sleep better call your nanny insurance agent and the town or city you live in. Or save yourself the bs and shove the damn pipe down the chimney.

Cheers

Don't forget the insulation or it will sweat and rot that $300 pipe right out. If it makes you sleep better call your nanny insurance agent and the town or city you live in. Or save yourself the bs and shove the damn pipe down the chimney.

Cheers

+1^^^^
No permits here, no insurance call!! Like Nike jus do it!!!
Burn Baby Burn:cool::cool:

Thanks for your replies. :) I shall have to get the bits and pieces and look into the permit and insurance stuff. :p

insulation is not necessary.

run a 2" line for outside intake air kit (OAK) as well (cap lower than exhaust)

Yea it's not needed if you like condensation dripping down the inside of the chimney and in to your stove. Or if you like to spend a bunch of money every four or five years. If you are not gonna insulate it put out short joint of flex pipe up and seal it off at the damper.

It does not always happen but when the chimney is on an exterior wall it happens all the time

Yep I am a retired NFI installer

Status
Not open for further replies.