Installing an Jotul F500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it thanks. Makes sense.

I only cleaned it out because we are not running it 24/7 yet, I only ran a few fires through it. So I just wanted to clean up around it, and in it. I like things neat & tidy.

No complaints with the stove at all. The few times we have used it, it has been great. Still experimenting with when to totally shut air off when I go to bed, but otherwise it's a great heater.

You may or may not be able to close the air all the way shut . . . a lot depends on the wood quality (how well seasoned it is) and draft. If you're closing it all the way and several hours later (whether overnight or during the day for that matter) you find the glass all blackened up you may need to give it more air . . . if the glass is pretty much clear except for maybe some light haze or fly ash you're probably OK to close the air all the way.

As you use the stove more and figure out its burning cycle you will love it the dryer your wood is the less your glass will blacken up but no matter how hard you try you will still get some build up on it just get a hot fire again and it should burn off on year five with our Oslo and love it glad we got the 500 over the 400 put a rug by which ever door you are going to use to load and operate it with and enjoy I like the side door but both work great you will figure it out awesome stove nice color

As you use the stove more and figure out its burning cycle you will love it the dryer your wood is the less your glass will blacken up but no matter how hard you try you will still get some build up on it just get a hot fire again and it should burn off on year five with our Oslo and love it glad we got the 500 over the 400 put a rug by which ever door you are going to use to load and operate it with and enjoy I like the side door but both work great you will figure it out awesome stove nice color

Non-flammable I assume . . .

What did you end up doing for a hearth pad, just curious, I have similar front clearances and have always just used a hearth mat.

That will work just watch out when opening front door that hot coals don't spill out my parents old fireplace had no doors just that old screen blinds they used a big non flammable rug in front now they have an insert but they still use a rug just my opinion but none of this is new fireplace wood stove insert indoor or outdoor boiler common sense and paying attention is key look how people have heated their homes for years the equipment and protective devices have improved dramatically use your smarts and you can figure it out

Reactions: ColdNH
That will work just watch out when opening front door that hot coals don't spill out my parents old fireplace had no doors just that old screen blinds they used a big non flammable rug in front now they have an insert but they still use a rug just my opinion but none of this is new fireplace wood stove insert indoor or outdoor boiler common sense and paying attention is key look how people have heated their homes for years the equipment and protective devices have improved dramatically use your smarts and you can figure it out

Ithinkiagreewithyoubutwithoutanypunctuationorcapitallettersindicatinganewsentencereadingyourpostwasaboutashardasreadingthispostihadtoreaditseveraltimesbeforegettingthegistofthepost. :) ;)

Sorry English and writing were never a strong suit of mine. Just trying to be helpful.

Sorry English and writing were never a strong suit of mine. Just trying to be helpful.

Keep posting . . . I was just giving you a hard time. And again, I do agree with you -- better technology has helped improve the safety, but commonsense is still equally as important.

No problem will try to keep posting thanks.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.