Installing Big E Tonight!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
It's been sitting in my basement near my PB105 and my brother and I are going to install it tonight in the garage after work.

Hopefully we'll get it all done.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Andrew Churchill said:
I'll post pics when it's done.

This is the most important part of the install. It even trumps safety.

We installed.......rather, I watched while it was installed, my Big E this past Saturday.

It took an hour and a 1/2 to drill thru the foundation, which is solid, but once that was done, the rest of the stove went in beautifully!!!

Some pics were taken, but I don't have them, but I cannot get over the difference in this house!! The Big E is supposed to heat 2400 sf, and my entire house is only 1800.........I was getting nervous since I had ordered this stove back in July, but it finally came and I am THRILLED!!!!!

I don't post a lot, but I am reading.........just gotta figure out all the things to learn with this......I'm a single woman, so it's up to me to take care of this.

Oh---I can call my friends who installed it. They'll be thrilled!! LOL

great news!! just press on,set temp number and keep it clean.

That's what I did!!...........rather, that's what they did!

Living in CT, it's set on a 3, and they hooked up a thermostat. It's in the basement which was about 75 or so, and upstairs was 70 and we did that with a strategically placed fan an ceiling fan going.

We haven't put in a floor grate yet, which we may put in the hallway in front of the bedroom to move the heat thru.

What has everyone else done? I REALLY like this stove so far!!

Thanks for the help everybody!!

We want pics!!!

sydney1963 said:
We want pics!!!

:)

Not from me...............it's really unexciting! LOL

It's sitting in the middle of the wall in the basement, so when you come downstairs, all you can see is the glow of the fire.

Actually, it's really pretty. I put a 6' cat tree within 15 feet of it, thinking the animals would sleep down there instead of in bed with me.

I was wrong! :lol:

Maybe I will take a couple pics...........hmmmmmmmm.................

The requirement is to post pics of all stove installs.
You must post pics or else! :lol:

LOL!!!

Ok, when I get home from work tonite, I shall post pictures of it!!

Don't want to upset the pellet people here!!! ;-)

[
It's sitting in the middle of the wall in the basement, so when you come downstairs, all you can see is the glow of the fire.

Maybe I will take a couple pics...........hmmmmmmmm.................[/quote]

I would go down stairs in the morning with my coffe and sit in front of it.its nice,really nice.try and have the thermostat set to where the stove stats on number 1 when its not heating the house.when the thermostat calls for heat the stove is already on.someone here might beable to explain this better for you then me.

We finished the install last night around 10:00. I was too tired to take some pics but when I get home tonight it's the first thing I'll do and I'll get them posted.

I promise!!!

johnnywarm said:
I would go down stairs in the morning with my coffe and sit in front of it.its nice,really nice.try and have the thermostat set to where the stove stats on number 1 when its not heating the house.when the thermostat calls for heat the stove is already on.someone here might beable to explain this better for you then me.

I'd like to know what people do when it's warm enough to not run it........I know turning it off and on is not good for the igniter.

Suggestions??

foldsct said:
johnnywarm said:

I'd like to know what people do when it's warm enough to not run it........I know turning it off and on is not good for the igniter.

Suggestions??

Turn it off if its going to be a couple of days or so.you will have with a pellet or wood stove the occasional cold morning.

You can idle it "on one" thats up to you.

I didn't think you could idle it at one---I thought that wasn't good for it!!!

Like this week........I don't really need it going, it's ok without it, but I'm afraid to turn it off/down.

I can put it on one and leave it there fine??

Yeah, I'm learning...........sorry for the questions............... :red:

Mine idles for 20 hours/day right now because it's not that cold. I shut it down every 3-4 days to clean it, then fire it right back up.

Dumb question #3,000.............

what's idle? Is that put it on #1??

I'll learn, I promise.............

foldsct said:
Dumb question #3,000.............

what's idle? Is that put it on #1??

I'll learn, I promise.............

Don't you have a Thermostat???

Idle is one for me, and it's okay to ask questions. We've all been newbie's at one thing or another.

OK, as promised here are the pics!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 253
foldsct said:
Yes..........and I have it turned to about 60.

Should I be doing something else?

What mode is your stove set at?? will it kick down to number 1 when the room is at 60? or will it shut down(turn off) when the room hits 60?

Look in your manual under thermostat settings to see what we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.