Installing cat temp probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, the Jotul 12's have a threaded plug in the back, which can be removed to expose the refractory cat chamber. They say to spin a 1/4" drill bit thru the refractory by hand, and then insert your probe in the hole. No mention of a probe that threads into the plug hole, or even of cementing the probe in place. Seems strange to me to have a probe hanging from nothing but the strength of some delicate 3/4" thick refractory board, especially for those of us using remote probes with wires than can be accidentally tugged, thus likely damaging the refractory.

Any words of wisdom, here?

The process is the same for a VC. You put the probe in it won't feel tight but as long as its not disturbed it will be fine. I just wired the probe cable to a stove leg so it won't move.

Okay. Seems like a less than thoroughly planned setup from both manufacturers, particularly in the case of a wired remote probe, but at least I didn't miss something!

I think I'll center-drill the factory plug bolt on the lathe, and then cement my probe into that for installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.