Installing chimney liner and increasing chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sticksnstones

Nov 12, 2014
northeast
Hi all, we are in new York and have a brick chimney with 3 flues (2 fireplaces, one oil fired furnace). Each has a clay flu. Chimney was built in 1969. The chimney is completely within the house except for the last 3' above the roofline. We bought a used but excellent condition Hampton HI 3000 for one of the fireplaces that we hope to get in this season. The bricks on the exterior portion of the chimney are being repaired next week and in the process we are raising the chimney almost 3' so it is code compliant. We have a double wall smooth 6" liner with 1/4" insulation wrap ready to install into the existing flu that is getting the insert. My question is this; When my mason builds the chimney higher, should we install the liner beforehand and have him cement up the liner? Or should we have him extend the height of the existing clay flues with same and then slip the liner down afterwards? Look forward to all your knowledgeable feedback!

I would have them extend the height first with the clay tiles. Then slip the liner afterward.

I don't think doing it before he lays the brick will help. Well it certainly won't help the mason as it will be a bit in his way. I think sliding it down when he's done will be fine as long as he cleans all his tile joints well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.