Installing class A pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
So I am finally done framing the basement and before I put on the cement board and drywall I want to install my stove pipe.

When we built the house I had them install a chase so I have a open chase with a galvanized cap on it.

I called and got a quote from Hechlers home and hearth for the pipe and install. For all the components needed its just over $1000.(22 foot of class A pipe, cap, firestop, storm collar, support box, caulk, tape, adjustable double wall pip.)

They also called there installer for me and because I'm 2 hours from them he wants $500 to install it. This seems very high to me. Its all open so easy to get to I would assume someone knowing what they are doing should be able to do the install in an hour or 2 right?

So I may have to do it myself, but I have never done it sooooo....... Anyone in the St.Louis area(I'm in imperial) fimilar with installing class A pipe that can help me out? Can pay some cash on the side or supply the beer. If not, is there anyone out there that could do some phone support so I could pick your brain?

What brand system are you installing? They usually come with instructions and are pretty straight forward to install.:cool:

Like Defiant said, the instructions supplied by the manufacturers are fairly comprehensive & if you run into trouble, you can always post here seeking help. One of the first things you're gonna wanna do is trash that chase top & have one fabricated from sheet aluminum. The Galvanizing WILL fail & you'll end up with rust stains running down the siding on your chase & possibly water damage inside. Can't tell you how many "Galvies" I've replaced over the years. You can have the side returns painted for looks & the chase top will be leak-proof for as long as the silicone on the collar lasts...

Reactions: PapaDave
$500 is not way out of line for such an install. Its not cheap to do quality work and guarantee it is done right.

easy to say "it should only take an hour or two" when you've never installed a chimney before
minimum 1-2hrs for a 2 man crew if all goes well

. The Galvanizing WILL fail & you'll end up with rust stains running down the siding on your chase & possibly water damage inside. Can't tell you how many "Galvies" I've replaced over the years.

i'm always telling people to paint more than just the sides of their chase tops for just this reason

Reactions: webby3650
One of the first things you're gonna wanna do is trash that chase top & have one fabricated from sheet aluminum.
I can't agree more with getting rid of the galvanized cover.

Although, I would go with a Stainless Steel cover

I can't agree more with getting rid of the galvanized cover.

Although, I would go with a Stainless Steel cover

We have not done it yet, but we will. The galvanized chase cover on our house rusted through after 8 years (pinholes). I poured/spread a half gallon of roofing goop on it, and so far it has not leaked again at 16 years, but on the list this summer is to get it off and put on a stainless one.

Status
Not open for further replies.