Installing cone fireplace in a covered porch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyMc

Feb 3, 2016
Austin, TX
My wife and I are going to add onto our house, and we're planning to include a covered (roofed) screened porch.

We probably won't start construction until mid-summer. First step? Run right out and buy this vintage steel fireplace off Craigslist!

We would love to have it installed and burning wood on the porch, but I'm imagining we'll be facing a lot of hurdles and would like to hear from anyone who has experience with something like this.

Given that it's vintage and used -- I can't find a manufacturer's mark and haven't found any examples online that match it exactly -- is it even possible to install it to code?

Would it be acceptable to place it on a deck floor (with appropriate fireproof pad) or would we need to have concrete?

Is there any clearance advantage/disadvantage to placing it in the corner of two screen walls vs. the brick of the house?

Any wisdom anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This will be much easier, safer and approvable with documentation. Have you contacted Malm and supplied them with a picture for possible identification and installation guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.