Installing fiberglass stove gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I've noticed that 1/4" gasket material is almost always much more than 1/4" diameter. I've compared a few brands on this, and that seems to be the case for all of them. If I stretch it, I can get it down to 1/4" (and farther), but when I release it always shrinks back to a fatter / shorter state.

So, when installing stove gasket, are we supposed to install it relaxed or stretched? I always install relaxed, figuring that if I stretch it while installing, it's more likely to come off at some point, maybe before I even finish the job.

Cool. Just as I thought. This 1/4" stuff had me overthinking things, because it's fatter than 1/4", and makes the doors a little tighter than I'd like closing on the fresh gasket. I'm sure it will compress with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.