1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Installing Field Controls Oil Vent Damper (OVD-6)

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I think I will install an automatic vent control on my oil boiler.
    http://www.fieldcontrols.com/pdfs/4325OilVentDamperSS.pdf

It has gotten good reviews here:
    http://www.pexsupply.com/Field-Controls-OVD-6-6-Oil-Vent-Damper-11822000-p

I just stuck my hand in through the barometric damper and you can feel the warm air going up the stack even though the boiler's been shut down a while.
    Also, every once in a while, there's a wood smoke odor in the basement.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to cut a piece of 6" single wall flue pipe? Could an abrasive wheel on a table saw do it?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  3. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Installed it. Easy, just follow directions. Works functionally. Not sure how much $ it will save. Here's a pic:

(edit: kept cable long for potential removal of pipe.)
    (edit2: used a dremel with cut off wheel to cut vent pipe, conical step drill for 3/4" hole in vent pipe for over temp sensor.)

Attached Files:

4. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Just thought I'd add a note, probably to myself. :)

Smokey odor now fairly consistent because boiler hasn't been firing for either heat or hot water (with the addition of the electric water heater and upstairs electric heaters).

Blower door test in summer showed tight house. There is a low cfm radon fan in basement as well as the wood stove on the second floor. No outside air kit seems to be available for the HI300.

Will try cracking open basement window and blocking vent damper. Not sure smokey air would then come out through oil burner fan, which gets its air from the basement (not outside air). Perhaps air is escaping through the bathroom vents on the second floor, although there are dampers.

Maybe a heat exchanger/outside makeup air device is in my future, but I hate the idea of putting a hole in the wall.
  5. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester, Mass
    How tall is your chimney? I have a reletively short chimney without a baro damper. I don't run my oil burner very often, so on cold days I often get a draft reversal and when the burner first fires up I get a bit of smoke in the house. I wonder if this would help prevent the draft reversal I get when my chimney gets cold.
  6. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    It's tall: 30' + from the basement to the roof.

I don't know. Although, the oil smoke has to be stinkier than the aromatic wood smoke. :)

I really don't know. I would tend to think it wouldn't help if things got stone cold.

I recall that my burner fan runs a while before firing. Maybe there's a setting for that, or it's a feature on newer burners, etc. I think purging refers to the shutdown end.
  7. ozzie88

ozzie88 Member

Loc:
    maine
    Hello, I put one on my boiler and went from $160. in 5 months to $60, it will save alot in waisted heat,been on 3rd year now