Installing flue in double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I recently bought a 6" flue damper, and went to install it this morning. What I thought was single wall pipe is double wall directly off the stove. Can I still install the damper? Thanks.

Edit - I meant to say damper in the title.

It'd be better to get the double-wall section with the
damper in it right from the manufacturer. You probably have a damper
that's at around 6" in diameter & it's not gonna fit the reduced ID of the
DW section.
Even if you can make it work, the OEM part will probably end up with
a cleaner look.

DAKSY said:
It'd be better to get the double-wall section with the
damper in it right from the manufacturer. You probably have a damper
that's at around 6" in diameter & it's not gonna fit the reduced ID of the
DW section.
Even if you can make it work, the OEM part will probably end up with
a cleaner look.

The damper fits nicely in the stove pipe section. Is drilling into double-wall pipe acceptable?

We use a stove top adapter with the damper in it already, I don't think the rod will go through and lock properly on double wall, it's likely too short to stay locked. It's not real common to have a pipe damper on a new stove, are you having some problems?

webby3650 said:
We use a stove top adapter with the damper in it already, I don't think the rod will go through and lock properly on double wall, it's likely too short to stay locked. It's not real common to have a pipe damper on a new stove, are you having some problems?

We get some pretty strong winds here that can cause high drafts on some days.

I agree with the other guys here, get the factory built pipe/damper assy......that way, God forbid if something happens and the insurance co. sees you rigged your own damper, you are on your own......plus, it will look cleaner, and you will know it is right.....

I also have to agree. Get the proper damper from the manufacturer. Cost wise it will be nominal, but peace of mind wise it will be priceless.

Shawn

Can you return it? For a proper fit, be sure that the double-wall damper piece matches the brand of the double-wall pipe.

hemlock said:
Sounds like I wasted 6 bucks.....

yeah but what you learned before installing it should more than make up for that 6 bucks.....lol.....

Given the advice here, I did not install it. The pipe is back on the stove. I'll chalk it up to a 6 dollar learning experience. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.