Installing Ideal Steel Hybrid, can it go here???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
Ok, I still haven't bought a stove and have recently found the Ideal Steel Hybrid appealing.

I've read through their manual and it says no alcove installations.

Would my area where I want to install the stove be an "alcove"?

I'm going to remove a zero clearance fireplace and the drywall and studs around it. I'm opening it up to where there are windows on each side of the recessed opening in the wall.

The measurement of this area is 24" deep into the rooms wall. This area is balloon framed off of the south gable side of the house. 96" wide from window to window, 109" from the floor to the ceiling of this recessed area.

The stove will sit 17" or 18" inside this area with the rest of it out in the room. The 24" depth of this area opens into a large living and dining room which is 22' X 20' in size with11' vaulted ceilings.

The manual says an alcove is any area under 521 cubic feet or 8'x8'x8'...

Does this area I want to put this stove fall in their "alcove" definition? Or am I ok as it's such a minimal area the stove is recessed into???

Here are some pictures. The stove will sit where the zero clearance ng fireplace currently is after I remove it and the drywall and framing around it. There will be a hearth that I will build and extend out for proper clearance.

Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
if the manual says 8*8*8 that is what you need

Ok, this is my thought.

This is what I'm looking at, would this be acceptable as my measurements?

The side to side (left to right) is 96" or 8 feet. The up and down is 108" or 9 feet.

The last measurement is the depth which is 24" back but opens into a room for another 20 feet till the opposite wall for 22 feet total.

It doesn't make sense to say no that it won't work because there isn't another 6 feet of depth. If there was then it would meet the 8'x8'x8' rule they have.

I have 24" in back and ample room in front (20 feet).

What are your thoughts with my explanation?

yeah but you are talking about sliding it back into an opening

Call Woodstock...by all accounts here they are more than happy to hear from folks and will pull out all the stops to answer your questions and provide the best service for you that they can. Rick

Yea I plan on calling them in the morning. Just trying to get an idea while it's off business hours.

Thanks Rick

I just can't see why it wouldn't work. East west and up down meet and in and out open up into a big area (20'x22').

It would be fine if there was 6 more feet in but not 20 feet out....

Called Woodstock today. They stated that this area should be fine, just try to get the stove out into the room much as possible.

The area is large enough that it doesn't technically fit the definition of an alcove, and that it's more of a large recessed area.

The Custer service at Woodstock has been top notch and I'm looking forward to doing business with them in the near future!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.