Installing insert in un-finished basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQMAN

Jan 25, 2015
NC
I have a full walk-out basement, approximately 2500 sq ft of un-finished space, the walls are poured concrete and I am looking to install a PE Summit insert in the masonry fireplace for additional heat as we use the basement a lot and hoping some of that heat will migrate upstairs during the winter months. My fireplace and chimney are in the center of the house and my question is this: will the un-finished concrete walls and floor soak up all the heat the insert will put out? The temp in the basement in the winter stays about 60 degrees and oddly, it gets quite warm in the summer. I would appreciate your thoughts, advice and experience from those with supplemental heat in their unfinished basements.
Thanks in advance. So much great info on this site!

You are right, those concrete basement walls will absorb a lot of the heat. But not all of it. Since that is a huge 2,500 sq ft basement, get a huge wood stove.

About a third of the heat will head through the walls to the soil and air surrounding them. Insulating the basement walls will increase comfort and dramatically decrease fuel consumption.

My last two homes have been walkout basements. My advice is to finish off the basement with insulated walls and carpeting before trying to heat with wood downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.