Installing liner and making stove or insert connection to Englander NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
Hi,

Still trying to get my mind around the install procedure for "stove in fireplace" vs an insert-style install. So feel free to correct or clarify my musings

For budget reasons we are looking at the Englander 30-NC after reading some of the favorable reviews here.

From a couple of pictures, I see some people terminating their flexible liner at a clean-out "T" and running into the back of their stove/liner if it has a horizontal flue exit.

If, as in the case of the Englander, the flue exit is vertical, is the usual procedure to just drop the flexible liner onto the top of the stove?

On the site, I see pictures where it looks like this is what has been done. From what I have seen you would either let the stove sit where the "lazy S" bend of the liner naturally hits the connector. Or (again if I am deciphering the pictures correctly) you might need to use an offset box to make connection so the stove doesn't disappear into the fireplace...

Clearly this means that you would need enough clearance to work. Does anyone know if the 27 3/4" H measurement listed on their website is with the pedestal/9" legs? The manual does not provide very good drawings.

Our fireplace is 63” wide x 30” high by ~24” deep. Masonry firebox, rough fieldstone facing floor to ceiling with a wide (& long) raised hearth, internal single floor chimney (<25 feet as a guess).

For a "drop on top" installation would I have to get the 6" leg set from Englander?

Thanks,
Dean

I brought the flex liner into a 30 degree stainless elbow mounted in the flue collar. The measurement on the website is for the stove with six inch legs. But it comes with nine inch. They told me they were gonna correct that three years ago when I bought my stove but it hasn't happened. Possibly that is the height with a pedestal, I don't know. And it is the height of the stove body. The flue collar and rear heat shield are almost three inches more that you need to add.

I don't think they ever dreamed some of us would be putting them into fireplaces. When I was down at the factory the designer of the stove sure looked surprised that I was doing that. Something you need to keep in mind is that to clean or replace the blower you have to lift the liner back up and pull the stove out of the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.