Installing my first pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skolden

Aug 21, 2014
Washington State
Hello everyone, started installing my first pellet stove today and as you can guess it must have went well since I'm here. I have a Lopi Firefox (PS-400) that I installed directly into my chimney, I purchased all Selkirk piping through Amazon and it cost me about $180 for everything I needed which isn't too bad considering when I went to a nearby store it was going to cost about $430 although it was Dura-vent piping I believe. I actually kept the 8" to 3" adapter since I figured it was a generic thing for all pipe but I returned everything else. Fast forward to now and I moved out the wood stove and threw in this pellet stove that I got for free from the old renters, I know nothing about pellet stoves yet but from what research I have done it looks like a decent enough stove. I'm going to attach a few photos, the part in particular that has me concerned is where the adapter meets the pipe I purchased, it seems like it has quite a gap for being 8" to 3", do I just fill this with silicone or do I need to go and buy the actual selkirk adapter for that? I have two pieces that I could interchange with that, the 1'x3" of regular pellet pipe is looser but fits the elbow snug but I also have the 1'x3" adjustable sleeve that fits the adapter more snug but looks a little looser on the elbow. I know I will also need to silicone where the T pipe joins the stove itself, I tried both Duravent and Selkirk on it and it's not really snug which kind of surprised me. Other then the gap on the adapter, everything looks ok to me but like I said I know nothing of pellet stoves. Any tips for what I have got going on so far? And what kind of heat will this old stove put out? I don't live in a terribly cold area, most winters never really get below 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit but I hope I only have two burn a bag or two of pellets max. If not I might have to invest in a newer pellet stove. Anyway, thanks for your time. pellet1.jpg pellet2.jpg pellet3.jpg

I'm thinking You have the wrong Chimney adapter. You need the one manufactured by Selkirk,
& it will be a better fit. Pellet vent is not compatible between manufacturers.
Also, you need an appliance adapter between the tee & the stove (PL3UPA) is the number
I found for this part in the Selkirk documentation. That will ALSO give you a better fit.

Reactions: mralias
That cleanout looks awfully close to the ground. How are you going to access it for chimney cleaning?

Reactions: nayslayer
I had read that you can't cross match pipes but I didn't realize there would be any difference in the adapter from the 8" to 3" pipe, that's quite unfortunate because I also bought that at the nearby heating dealership and it was like $80 for the dang thing. I looked at those Selkirk ones on Amazon and they don't look like they would stick into the chimney hole very much, would I probably have to silicone that inside or are my eyes being deceived? The current one that is too loose for the pellet pipe fits into the shroud really well but I suppose I'll need to purchase whats right. As for the adapter, are you able to use pellet stoves without those? The reason I ask is that when the people left the stove behind they also left the pipe they had, they had it plumbed directly through the side of the house and I don't think I see any adapter with that.

What do you mean by it being close to the ground? The old wood stove use to sit on that slab and we just would run a chain down from the top of the chimney ever year to knock off any creosote build up. Am I missing something?

Hello

I recommend the Selkirk vacuum cleanout for the bottom. It makes sucking out the ash in the venting system a breeze! See yellow arrows in pic.
Just google "Selkirk vacuum cleanout"

Click pic to Enlarge:

Attachments

• SelkirkVacuumCleanout.jpg
    SelkirkVacuumCleanout.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 215
What do you mean by it being close to the ground? The old wood stove use to sit on that slab and we just would run a chain down from the top of the chimney ever year to knock off any creosote build up. Am I missing something?
It appears from your photo that the bottom of the clean out tee is only 1 or 2 inches off the ground. It looks difficult to access.

Ahh I was thinking you were meaning something on the stove. Yeah, it has a 5 inch clearance from the top of the slab to the bottom of the T, hopefully that will be enough. I will purchase the adapter for sure then, does anybody else know about that 3" to 8" adapter if there will be any tighter of a fit if I buy the Selkirk one vs the Duravent one? I'd really hate to throw down another $45 for something that doesn't make any difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.