installing my first wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatrabbit

Nov 20, 2006
Cazenovia , NY
:-S :-S
I have a dutchwest cat stove and I am building a raised hearth. The hearth will be topped with durock and blue stone and faced with durock and stone veneer. Behind the stove I am installing stone veneer over durock and I need an airgap . Does the spacer material between the sheetrock and durock have to be non combustible, such as metal stud? Also because the mason placed my chimey to right of the stove location the stove connector pipe will run upward at a 45 degree angle for about 26 inches before tying in to the flu. Will this be a problem? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Yes, the spacer material needs to be non-combustible. Durock recommends using a couple layers of 2" wide strips of durock as the spacers. Don't forget to include an air gap at the bottom and top to allow air circulation. Docs at: http://tinyurl.com/nmmt3

RE: 45, prolly not a problem. How tall is the stack for the stove? Is it interior or exterior?

Our stove pipe goes straight up from our stove for about 20", then has a 45 degree bend, goes about 3 feet, and then another 45 degree bend in the other direction. After that it is straight all the way up. The bends were to get the pipe lined up between joists in the ceiling, and also to be closer to the wall in the bedroom upstairs that it goes through, so it wouldn't be so much in the way. Our chimney is longer than it needs to be, due to going through the second floor and the tallest part of the attic. Instead of trying to decrease costs by making the height of the chimney less, we focused on best central placement of the stove, so that it really does heat the whole house. We have a great draft, our wood burns perhaps TOO fast, so the 45 degree bends don't seem to cause any trouble that way. We have a raised hearth as well, but no special backing, just went with the appropriate clearances, so no advice on spacers.

Thanks for the advice and the link, That makes it all the easier on the wallet. The wife will be happy. The chimney run is about 25' I have about 26" of double wall pipe running at a 45 degree angle and then entering the flu pipe. Happy thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.