Installing new liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyq

Dec 27, 2012
Long Island, NY
We have decided to install a liner in our chimney before we start season 2 with our stove. We have an 8x13 chimney in the center of the house. The house is a ranch so it's a fairly short chimney and we need to get better draft so we have decided to go the liner route. Question-Do we need to get the chimney swept professionally before we put in the liner?

Not necessarily if you can get it clean yourself you can do it. Are you planning on insulating?

How short is fairly short? Most stoves need at least 15 feet from the stove flue collar to the top. I'm close to the minimum with the Progress and do notice some draft issues and mine is well insulated.

One way or the other the chimney must be cleaned before putting in the liner. Don't forget to clear out the crud behind the damper in the smoke shelf area.

Thanks for the answers will get call the chimney sweep and get it done. fire_man- It's a 12 foot chimney, minimum for the stove (Manchester) is 10. We had a great 1st season last year but decided mid year we wanted a liner for better draft.

Begreen- I don't think I have a damper. Is that possible or a problem? This is not an insert it's a freestanding stove with double wall pipe into a chimney there never was a fireplace. Am I missing something?

No, I am missing something due to internet myopia. Just clean the chimney before installing the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.