Installing regular T-stat wire before the T-stat arrives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Purchased a Skytech 3301 P2 and will be arriving Thursday. Meanwhile I would like to setup the stove and put it in its final place with connections before the t-stat arrives so I don't have to move the unit at all, just in case space may get tight a bit.

On this unit I have to open the right side panel to get acess to the rear of the control panel board to connect the t-stat wires.

My question is, if I can place and connect a piece of t-stat wire that I have and leave it in place hanging out of the back of the stove a bit so I can just connect the transmitter box to this wire (connect to 2 wires and put some tape), OR just wait for the t-stat and connect transmitter wire directly to the control board (cleaner install, no tape used to connect wires, better overall?). %-P

Yes, you could. It WILL make the final stat set-up easier, but i wouldn't just twist the wires and cover w/ tape.

IMO, do it right: Slide on a 1 - 1 1/2 " piece of heat shrink tubing on each lead, then SOLDER the wires, slide heat shrink over bare wires & shrink it.

Twisted & taped wires have a funny way of coming undone. At the very least, use wire nuts.

Hey geek, How you doing?

I have mine wired like the way you saying. I used spade connectors(crimped soldered and heat shrinked them). I have a male on one wire and a female on the other. I can just connect them together(like a jumper) or hook my stat wires to them. I can take a picture of them if you need it?

Can't wait to see the new stove blazing!

Take care buddie!

j-takeman said:
.....I used spade connectors(crimped soldered and heat shrinked them). I have a male on one wire and a female on the other. I can just connect them together(like a jumper) or hook my stat wires to them......

Yup, that's an even better idea Jay!

ok, thanks guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.