Installing rigid thru the wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theorangey

Sep 13, 2014
se pa
Hey guys, new here but have been reading the forums for a while here. Wife and I went today and put a down payment on a Cape Cod, we are very excited about the new stove. Here is my problem. I will be installing a chimney myself, I have years of construction related experience and the installation seems pretty straight forward. The only part I am unsure about is going through my wall. It is an old chimney, from the inside out it is a layer of plaster over brick about 4 inches thick total then a 5 inch hollow then another brick about 3.5 inches more roughly 12.5 inches total. There are no combustibles within 3 feet around where the hole will be except for joist about 24 inches above. wall on inside will be covered in veneer stone. How do i go through the wall? Is a thimble needed? Would a thimble work and allow me to finish the interior wall within a relatively close proximity to the pipe?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I tried to give a good indicator of what i am working with, if there is any additional information I can give you please let me know.

If there is absolutely no combustible (including hidden wood) within 3ft you may be able to do the wall patch method.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

If you do you must be sure that the chimney tile liner is in very good condition and not too large for the stove. It should not be larger than 8x8 and should have no cracks. The chimney should be cleaned before installation. If the tile liner is too large, drop a stainless liner down it to make things kosher.

If there is absolutely no combustible (including hidden wood) within 3ft you may be able to do the wall patch method.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

If you do you must be sure that the chimney tile liner is in very good condition and not too large for the stove. It should not be larger than 8x8 and should have no cracks. The chimney should be cleaned before installation. If the tile liner is too large, drop a stainless liner down it to make things kosher.

I am putting a dura vent double wall chimney on the outside of my house. I am wondering how to use the thimble on a thick brick wall. or can i just put the pipe with no thimble through the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.