Installing rigid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
Can you guys offer advice how one guy can lower rigid pipe safely?
I am concerned about how to hold it at the crown while each section gets riveted and insulated.
If anyone has an idea for a jig or something that would work for a one man install, I'd really appreciate the info.

Also, I was thinking of running a rope down the center of the pipe attached to the bottom piece of flex with round cut plywood but that wouldn't support the pipe while it get's rivited.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this install.

An assistant will help a lot here. But in lieu of that you need a brake to hold it in place when riveting the next section. It needs to be solid. Maybe use a ratchet strap to hold it temporarilly?

Would a lasoo of rope around it work? The other end of the rope has a loop you put your foot into. The rope is short enough that putting your foot down, it pulls the rigid tight against the inside chimney wall (holding it there) so you can screw on the next section.

I think between the two of your ideas there is a viable solution.

I was thinking of taking the same ratchet strap and strap it around the chimney therby using it as an anchor point to "bind" the liner to the side of the flue as well as an anchor for the lowering rope, then try and figure out how a rope can lower each 4' section that is now wrapped in rigid insulation that is not secured to each section.
I think a rope attached to the OUTSIDE of the liner is the feasible solution to lowering the liner in place.

Anyone try this idea for an rigid install?

I still don't understand how the rigid insulation can be left unsupported except for a couple screws at the lowest point at the flex connector.
hmm.gif

We cut a jig out of pressure treated 2x8's and drilled holes in each side to insert bolts. We used a rubber membrane to have grip for the liner. I installed our 22 gauge liner by myself with this jig on a 32' chimney. I would insert, clamp, rivet, etc. and lower. Section by section.

I installed 27 foot of liner myself. I had a step ladder up against the chimney and used a length of 12g romex wiring and looped it around 2x and tied it off to the ladder. As the pipe wanted to slide down the wire would tighten around the piping holding it in place, then lift a lil, loosen the wire around the pipe, lower some and let the weight of the piping retighten the wire and ready for the next section. I also used the top clamp that came with the top plate as a back up. It really isn't that bad even by yourself.

what about the insulation? it isn't attached to the liner, that's what I can't figure out.
How to grasp the insulated liner as it gets heavier when sections are added.

This is the aluminum sheet type wrap like "saf-t wrap" by Heat-Fab. (rigid insulation wrap) that comes in 2' sections.
It just rests over the liner with no support.

Benchwrench said:
what about the insulation? it isn't attached to the liner, that's what I can't figure out.

This is the aluminum sheet type wrap like "saf-t wrap" by Heat-Fab. (rigid insulation wrap) that comes in 2' sections.

Ah, I used Duravent double wall pre insulated. It has the insulation between the inner & outer shells.
Is there enough room and is the insulation loose enough to run the pipe first then slide the insulation down afterwards?
Don't know what to tell ya there. Maybe call the manufacturer and ask them what they suggest?

laynes69 said:
We cut a jig out of pressure treated 2x8's and drilled holes in each side to insert bolts. We used a rubber membrane to have grip for the liner. I installed our 22 gauge liner by myself with this jig on a 32' chimney. I would insert, clamp, rivet, etc. and lower. Section by section.

could you share just how the jig looked, kind of describe what you guys built? I can't seem to picture it. Speaking of, did you take a picture of your jig during the install?

Hogwildz said:
Benchwrench said:

Ah, I used Duravent double wall pre insulated. It has the insulation between the inner & outer shells.
Is there enough room and is the insulation loose enough to run the pipe first then slide the insulation down afterwards?
Don't know what to tell ya there. Maybe call the manufacturer and ask them what they suggest?

I got to think about this type of product I'm installing and the fact that the insulation isn't attached so I came up with some fuzzy logic, ie: a solution.
i-ve-got-it.gif

I would need at least two SS brackets at each 4' section that would hold each section of the insulated skin.
Each 4' section already require four rivets, I could add an additional two (or utilize two of the four) rivets to attach a couple brackets. They'll be about an inch wide and have two 90 degree bends. This should be strong enough to support 2 sections of insulated "skin". Voila! there you have it,
big-smile.gif
(at least in theory) a means of support that won't catch the sides of the flue while installing the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.