1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Installing Rim Sprocket, Is There a Right & Wrong Orientation

Post in 'The Gear' started by Boog, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Hey folks, is there a proper orientation from a mechanical standpoint as to which side of a Rim sprocket is facing outwards. I always assumed that the side bearing the manufacturer (stihl in my case) and size (3/8-7, .325-7, etc) should face outwards. However, two of the saws I acquired recently had the Rim reversed with the "holes" showing. Does it make a mechanical difference, or as in bar side rotation, is it actually good to occasionally rotate your Rim to give it even wear on each bearing side? Or maybe like cords/belts in a tire, it is best to maintain it in one torsional direction for its service life. Anyone have an opinion out there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    It'll work either way .
  3. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    The other thought that I forgot to mention is that it would probably stay cleaner and not clog with gunk if the holes were installed towards the clutch.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Most of the wear on a rim occurs from the outside in, so IMO flipping it won't significantly extend it's life. I usually install it with the identifying marks facing out but that's just my personal little bit of OCD.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Yep, that way I know what's under the cover at a glance. Tried em both ways, & they don't wear any different. A C
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Funny I never even thought about this.

Pete
  7. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I never had either until Lukem posted about how his "grenaded" into pieces the other day. Got me thinking about preventive maintenance ;) .
    Pallet Pete likes this.