Installing Stove & Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
Greetings all. I bought a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim second hand. It was installed in a cathedral ceiling room. Has Selkirk Metalbestos Chimney pipe. I want to install in a room with normal 8ft tall horizontal sheet rock ceiling. Above ceiling - I have 57" of attic space to cross - then up thru roof decking. I need 96" total chimney pipe, so I will need another 6" X 36" Metalbestos pipe. Is there anyway to adapt the roof support to secure to attic trusses in place of a "chimney support box"? Or is this outside code - and don't think about it?

I have no Metalbestos dealer here in Huntsville, AL. Quite a few Duravent dealers with good stock levels.
Would it be better to trash the Metalbestos and just go with Duravent from the ceiling upward?
I will need: 1. Chimney support box 2. 96" chimney pipe 3. insulation protector cone
I have: Flashing, storm collar, rain cap and spark arrestor
Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• pipes1.jpg
    pipes1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 891
You can use that roof support. It needs to sit on the plywood on your roof. You'll need to get some approved boxes to protect the insulation in your attic.
The Selkirk catalog, available online, will show you how. I'd stick with that Selkirk if you can. It'll save you a couple hundred $ over starting from scratch.

I'm curious, what'd you pay ? I got mine (no pipe) for $450. The rear grate was broken. I've been waiting for 3 weeks for that.

Thanks, Brian. I paid $225 for the whole shebang. Guy was selling his house and so many potential buyers didn't like wood stoves, he pulled it. Man...what deranged people! But this is northern Alabama - not that cold. Many people around here have a fireplace purely for the esthetic value. Not me - I want some BTUs on my BUT.

Great deal !

***There is a FRAGILE ceramic fiber box (refractory package) in the back of the stove. It is visible through the flue collar and behind the rear grate. Be VERY carefull around it as they are @ $250 to replace. I sucked a hole out the top of mine when vacuuming through the flue collar.

I gave mine a thorough cleaning when I got it. I even removed the whole refractory box for cleaning (and repair).
You should at least remove the left and right back plates (inside, behind the bricks) and remove the ash buildup on the sides of the refractory.

Enjoy ! I'm just learning burning and, so far, this seems like a great stove.

Well, I priced: Metalbestos chimney pipe-36" (1), Insulation shield, ceiling support and 3 locking rings at local dealer = $450!!!! So, went to Lowes and they have Selkirk Supervent chimney system....whole new chimney system was $350 after 10% coupon. The chimney support kit has everything in it, except locking rings ($5 ea). Plus pretty good instructions for a newbie. And buying locally = no shipping. So, I'll sell the metalbestos system to someone who is installing in a cathedral room.

Just got chimney installed...some pics. Thanks to Nic36 in Decatur, AL - gave me great advice as he has done a Selkirk Supervent.

Attachments

• insulationshield320.jpg
    insulationshield320.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 738
  • roofchimney320.jpg
    roofchimney320.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 762
  • stove320.jpg
    stove320.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 779
That was quick. Nice job.
Odd spot for your thermometer. Why not on the pipe or griddle ?

Thanks, Brian. I agree with weird place for thermometer! But that is a photographic artifact - haven't bought thermometer. Maybe I should get a better camera before a thermometer - LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.