1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Installing stove pipe in cinderblock chimney

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wildharejim, Jan 6, 2013.

1. wildharejim

wildharejim New Member

Hey All,
    Here is my question(s): Is single wall stove pipe sufficient in a cinder block chimney or should I go with double wall? Also, do I need to insulate the pipe or is it fine just as it is? It is a short chimney with draft issues, so I realize double wall would be better, but cost is a consideration as well.
    The clearance inside the chimney if I use double wall will be less than 2", is this a real problem?
    My other issue is the elbow at the thimble, I will have to use a single wall elbow in the chimney due to the size of the thimble(6") ,any thoughts here other than wrapping it in insulation?

Thanks, Jim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    You don't put stove pipe in a chimney, you put a stainless steel liner in a chimney. Stove pipe (also called connector pipe) is used only to connect from the appliance flue collar to the building penetration...from there on it's Class A chimney pipe or a stainless chimney liner. Tell us all about your installation...the stove, the building, the existing chimney, everything. Then we can start to help you put a good safe plan together. Rick
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

What Rick said but with pics Jim and welcome to through web portal of no return ;)

Pete
  4. wildharejim

wildharejim New Member

Okay, the tile liner inside my cinder block chimney has completely fallen apart. I need something inside it so I don't burn the house down. I have an older Fisher style wood stove connected to a 6" thimble inside the house. I do not want to disassemble the chimney, but rather drop something down from above.
    The chimney is chimney cinder block with roughly a 9 1/2" opening for the the pipe. Chimney is 7' from thimble to top. Thimble is roughly 5' off the floor.
    What do you think?
  5. southbalto

southbalto Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mid-Atlantic

What if the OP were to drop 6" stove pipe from the top and then fill the gap between the pipe and existing liner with cement? It certainly wouldn't be as good as an insulated liner, but would it be safe to burn in?
  6. wildharejim

wildharejim New Member

Also, with chimney pipe, how do I turn at the thimble to go up the chimney, a 90 degree elbow? I do not see any for sale.
  7. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    The bottom of the liner will have a "T" on it that you connect to with a strap.

Matt
  8. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

The tee on the bottom of the liner is installed in 2 parts. The one part is attached to the liner and the snout, the horizontal part of the tee, is installed in the basement once the liner is lowered down.
    ! look around the 6:30 mark, it shows you how it works.
    CenterTree likes this.