Installing Tee Question material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I will be performing through the wall installation using stainless steel chimney. The chimney will be
24'. I am installing the tee out of my basement wall. Since I am not using a wall thimble what material can I place between the cement hole and the chimney section which will be attached from the tee and protrude into the basement? How can I seal off this area? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stove pipe cement.

You could even mix up some hydraulic cement.

Bab is dead-on, I've always used "Quick-Plug" when sealing penetrations through concrete......the stuff is amazing.

A thimble would be the best way but if YOU CANT
you want to be sure you use a material that will allow the pipe to expand and contract when it heats up and cools down.
Is this going to be a single wall pipe or Class A?
if you have single wall or class A pipe in contact with a mortar the integrity of the pipe will break down from the moisture being drawn out of the Mortar on to the pipe and not having room to expand and contract.

hearthtools said:
A thimble would be the best way but if YOU CANT
you want to be sure you use a material that will allow the pipe to expand and contract when it heats up and cools down.
Is this going to be a single wall pipe or Class A?
if you have single wall or class A pipe in contact with a mortar the integrity of the pipe will break down from the moisture being drawn out of the Mortar on to the pipe and not having room to expand and contract.

My understanding is that code requires Class A in this situation, it's certainly what I would tend to use (Unless I had something better). As to the corrosion issue, if using exterior grade Class A, with a stainless steel exterior surface, how much is corrosion going to matter? Ditto expansion / contraction - given that the exterior layer is up against a big masonry heat sink, I'd be surprised if it changed dimension enough to matter...

At any rate, my answer to the OP question would be to look in the manufacturers manual, or call their tech support folks, for the brand of pipe being used, and follow their advice on how best to do the install (which might require additional part(s)...) I am sure this is a question they would have plenty of practice answering.

Not doing it that way could result in a non-code install.

Gooserider

Ifs its class A, and the pipe close to the size of the hole (not trying to fill in that much area) why not Rutland High Temp silicone? Flexible and would have no problem with those temps.

I like the silicone or some type of flexilble sealant. Otherwise how does one stop rain from creeping in along the bottom of the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.